Camping idea

Ken Grove

TVWBB Member
We're planning a camping trip over Labor Day, and I have an idea for a makeshift grill / stove and I want your comments and suggestions. We have about 30-40 people going - mix of adults and kids - so need a good way to cook for a large amount of people and many types of meals. Here is my idea:

I want to get bricks or blocks from Home Depot or Lowes and build a roughly 2' x 3' pit and buy a couple very cheap grates to span the pit. I'm thinking cinder blocks and leave 1/2 inch gaps in between to allow air in. Fuel would be charcoal started with a Weber chimney. The idea is to be able to stack more coals on one side for high heat and less coals on the other side for lower heat. This would allow us to do a combination of grilling, foil packets, and even use the grates like a stove.

Comments? Suggestions? Experience? Looking for some good input.

I've never done it but I would make sure to use fire bricks. Chances are this won't happen but if regular briks from Home Depot get hot enough, they can explode. Again, I've never seen it but it's a concern, especially if you're going to have kids around.

I get your drift Ken, I think it's a grate idea! Putting a steel mesh screen over it would be a good idea. You could also just ask everyone to bring a Weber. Either way good luck!

I thought about bringing my wsm or smokey joe, but the smokey joe is too small for that many people and the wsm would be smelly to transport inside an SUV.

I'm thinking somebody needs to build one of these...

mini-wsm

It wouldn't cook for everyone unless you did pulled pork. In that case you could cook about 20 pounds of pork in one. Your idea is probably best for the space and effort. A discada is another way to cook outdoors for a bunch of people. Just place it on top of a fire between a few rocks or bricks. Mexicans use them to feed crowds.

Edit: Oh, I wanted to add to look into Brazillian style grilling. They cook over an open fire "trench" or "trough" with their cuts of meat on large spits. Might be an easy cheap way to cook roasts, chickens, sausages, veggies, etc.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Ken Grove </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Sounds like a great time outdoors.

If you have like a big dutch oven or any other cast iron casserole a good batch of slow simmered chicken or a chili con carne feads alot of ppl and is really easy to do.
and then just add some other grilled foods of your preference.

And about the cinder blocks i think will be just fine aslong as you keep the fire moderate.
And it builds up to be a working grill in no time.

Back