California > Pacifica: Gorilla Barbeque

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Gorilla Barbeque
2145 Coast Highway 1
Pacifica, CA 94044

Barbecue joints come in all shapes and sizes. In the case of Gorilla Barbeque, it comes in the shape and size of a big orange railroad boxcar!

Featured three times on Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives, Gorilla Barbeque serves up brisket, pulled pork, spareribs, hot links, chicken, and several sides from a space so small that only one customer enters at a time to place their order and receive their food! A space so small that the smoker pokes outside through the back wall of the boxcar!

At the time of our visit during the COVID-19 pandemic, Gorilla Barbeque was serving an abbreviated menu on a temporary schedule Saturday and Sunday only, 12:00PM to 5:00PM or until the meat runs out.

We were the first to arrive on Sunday at 11:00AM. Others started showing up to form a line at 11:20AM. The door opened promptly at noon and people stepped inside one at a time to order their food. We ordered 1.5 pounds of brisket (half lean, half fatty), a half slab of spareribs, and a cornbread muffin. Food is to-go, there is no inside or outside seating and no trash cans should you decide to eat in your car.

The spareribs were cooked perfectly. Very moist and tender, but not fall off the bone. Nice amount of smoke flavor. Served with sauce on the side. I would have liked a more assertive rub with a bit more salt and heat, but these were surprisingly good ribs!

The brisket was very tender and moist. Sliced across the grain as it should be (always surprised when restaurants that should know better slice it with the grain). Served with sauce on the side. As with the ribs, a bit more salt and heat would help, but having said that, I couldn't stop eating it when drizzled with a bit of the thin, vinegar-forward barbecue sauce provided.

The corn muffin was fine. A bit sweet but not overly so. Pieces of real corn inside. Moist but not wet. It served its purpose.

Pricy...ribs were $17 for a half-slab, brisket was $14 for a half-pound. But they're operating in one of the highest priced markets in the US, so these prices go with the territory.

A bit out of the way for me, I probably won't be back, but not because of the quality of the food. If you're a Triple D fan and visiting San Francisco, consider making the 20 mile trip south to Pacifica to Gorilla Barbeque! You'll enjoy some good food and beautiful views of the coastline and Pacific Ocean.

IMG_2817[1].JPG

IMG_2813[1].JPG

IMG_2811[1].JPG

IMG_2814[1].JPG

IMG_2815[1].JPG

IMG_2816[1].JPG

IMG_2823[1].JPG

IMG_2824[1].JPG

IMG_2828[1].JPG

IMG_2826[1].JPG

IMG_2820[1].JPG

IMG_2822[1].JPG

Nice write-up on a BBQ joint I'd love to frequent in a place that was centered on my old stomping ground for surfing growing up. (SF down to Santa Cruz.) I wish I could return home, but I can't afford it.

Nice write-up on a BBQ joint I'd love to frequent in a place that was centered on my old stomping ground for surfing growing up. (SF down to Santa Cruz.) I wish I could return home, but I can't afford it.
Too bad there's no good Q in NC, Jepprey! ;)

I've been to Gorilla BBQ, and Chris' write up is spot on. They cook everything I've had properly, if a bit under seasoned. Sauces are good, folks are friendly, prices are steep (refer to Jepprey's post above.)

R

It’s close to the house, I’ve been a few times and would rather cook my own at this point. It was pretty cool seeing it on DDD though. My family is from Pacifica, beautiful town!

Back