Cajun Bandit 20 Quart Water Pan For WSM22

Bob Ivey

TVWBB Emerald Member
Link

Just happened to see this and was curious if anyone has tried it yet? Since I use water in my pan, I am curious. 5 gallons of water is a lot but you probably would not run out. I know a lot of people don't use water, but it has always worked for me so I have stayed with it.

By the time you pay for shipping it is almost $40.00 but shipping is just a fact of life anymore. I think that shipping is also now a growth industry.

Last edited:
Link

Just happened to see this and was curious if anyone has tried it yet? Since I use water in my pan, I am curious. 5 gallons of water is a lot but you probably would not run out. I know a lot of people don't use water, but it has always worked for me so I have stayed with it.

By the time you pay for shipping it is almost $40.00 but shipping is just a fact of life anymore. I think that shipping is also now a growth industry.

I kind of wonder if it might take up space for charcoal in the same way the deeper pan on the later 18.5's does. If you are going to run water it might be a good thing. Adding water is a complete P.I.T.A. I was going to rig up some kind of water pitcher to refill with before I quit running water.

I've used water a lot but i think 5gals is a little much. It sucks up a lot of heat. I just refill my water with a watering pot.

That must be new, I check that site for cool stuff pretty often. I always use water as well and will purchase one. Thanks for letting us know. Also you don't have to add all 5 gallons in, but I would like to have the capacity for overnight cooks.

That's what I am thinking Dan. Probably won't get it for a month or two, but it will happen.

I use a watering wand I bought at Home Depot to refill the bowl on my 22. It is fast, easy, and you can keep your distance while refilling with accuracy.

5 gals of water would be just crazy. I'm a homebrewer and I'm trying to visualize placing a 5gal carboy inside the WSM, haha. Giant gravity-fed smokers use 5gal water containers for their cooks. But on a WSM????????

Anyway, just for reference, a high-powered Banjo-style turkey fryer takes about 15 mins to get 5gals of water to a boil. That's with a raging flame going full-blast on it. 5 gals in a WSM would seemingly take half your cook time to even get to a boil, if you're lucky.

Seems like a total waste, even for someone who does long cooks. To be honest, even on an 18.5 WSM, I've never seen the water go out before about 12 hrs worth of cooking.

Last edited:
IMO, I introduce water at the beginning of my L&S. JUST ENOUGH for the first 3-4 hours cook, in order to help smoke ring And the smoke to adhere.
Thats just to my 2 cents

Can't see the need for it myself, Let alone all the extra weight it'll add 40 pound's worth.

If you're blowing through that much water, there's a chance you have your vents open too wide. Vents open wider than necessary will only raise the temp a little bit since the water is doing its job and boiling off to keep the cooking temps in the +/- 250F range, but by letting in more air you're burning more fuel and boiling off more water. That can result in needing to refill the water bowl earlier as well as re-stocking the ring with more charcoal. I can't remember the last time I had to add water to my 22" - typically finish 10-12 hr cooks with half a bowl of water remaining. If you keep running short of water, try an experiment and run with your vents more constricted than usual. Obviously monitor your temperatures... Make sure I'm not responsible for screwing up your cook.

I use water in my stock 18 pan. I don't think I would upgrade to a bigger water pan. I am interested to see some reviews on it.

Back