Buying a pellet grill to replace a Performer and a WSM with a ATC?

I grew up in the 'burbs of Chicago in Franklin Park, my aunt lived in Chicago near North Ave. and Polanski. There was a little pizza joint near where she lived so when I would spend a weekend with her we would always walk down to the pizza place and get a thin crust pizza and take it home for dinner on Saturday night Now I'm a deep dish lover but I do remember that thin crust was mighty fine also.
From what I hear from my cousin I wouldn't want to walk down there now.
Agree with Larry back in the 50s times were a lot better.

My wife and I stayed in Chicago a couple years ago and stopped at one of the famous Lou Manatis. The pizza was good, but it wasn't worth the price by any means.

Loved the original Gino's and then unos and dues. Then they went through some inconsistent phase and malnatis became a favorite of many. I am barely old enough to remember Brian Piccolo night at Malnati's on Tuesdays.

The recipe and variations was spread around through Gullivers, Pequods and Burt's Place. Some might remember the Anthony Bourdain episode where he raved that Burt's Place was the best pizza he ever had. He was a partner in Gullivers and Pequods. My friend was involved in Gullivers.
The recipe is not too difficult. But knowing where the sausage is from...

Actually Burt was the original Pequods. He had a tiny little shop on Lincoln Ave in Morton Grove right by the library. The current owner of the Pequod bought him and his name out. He thought he would retire, but then opened Burt's Place though I am unsure whether the name has continued since his death. Don't know how Gulliver's got thrown in to this mix. They're pizza was awful I could never stand it. But Burt was not a Pequod "partner" he was Pequod.

Burt was a partner in Gullivers around 1965. Yes he was Pequods. Then Burt's Place. Compared.to Uno's and Due's their pizza dough is more foccacia like. Add in a thin layer of cheese then burn up a bit of tomato sauce and viola. I can see why Anthony Bourdain thought it was so different and good. Cheap too. I Liked Burt. Nice guy.

Yep when I lived in the area my friend and I knew him quite well. He was a bit of an odd bird in a way but a good guy overall. 1965 I wasn't "out and about" like that. Being 14 I spent most of my time with some of my friends walking around Morton Grove and Niles in "tough guy" mode trying to find a way to sample "other pursuits" if you get my drift. I did not meet Burt until my mid 20's.

Back