Butts and ribs...

Burtess

TVWBB Fan
Did a couple of pork butts on the WSM at the end of this week, and threw on a couple rack of baby backs as well....

In the cryovac...
Butt08_04_09.jpg

Trimmed the skin off...
Butt08_04_091.jpg

Rubbed them up nice...
Butt08_04_092.jpg

On the WSM they go...
Butt08_04_094.jpg

Coming along well (after 9 hours overnight)...
IMG_0996.jpg

Done and after resting, like a couple of meteorites...
Butt08_04_095.jpg

One of the butts pulled (and chopped a bit)...
Butt08_04_0915.jpg

Then came the baby backs...

Dusted with rub...
IMG_0120.jpg

On the WSM...
IMG_0131.jpg

Coming along nice...
http://i6.photobucket.com/albu...Burtess/IMG_0134.jpg

Done...
http://i6.photobucket.com/albu...Burtess/IMG_0136.jpg

Good eats...
http://i6.photobucket.com/albu...Burtess/IMG_1054.jpg

Burt
icon_smile.gif

Note from Moderator: 1) Please do not try to defeat the naughty word filter by placing spaces between the letters of the naughty words. I prohibit certain words for a reason, so please honor my wishes in this regard. 2) I changed several inline photos to links due to the number of large images in the post. Please see the "posting photos" link on the bulletin board homepage for guidelines.

I like the looks of your rib rack as much as your ribs. I bought the Weber Deluxe Rack and I'm really not happy with it because of the extra tight fit on BB ribs. The extra curvature in the BB bones cause them to stck in the rack, but yours seems to have plenty of room for 6 racks of BB or spares.

Where can I get one like that?

Burtess,
Great looking PP and Ribs!

Where did you find that twin-pack (on sale?) in Canada?

Here on the West Coast, NO pork butt has been on sale for the last 7 months, never mind in a twin pack.

This, despite the constant whining from the Canadian Pork Marketing Gurus who complain about low prices and declining demand. Well, there's huge demand for pork shoulder here from the growing legions of PP aficionados, but no decent supply!

Don't know who's to blame, but everyone I know, who does PP here, goes across the border to buy it, on sale, in the USA.

What kind of finishing sauce do you use on your PP?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Greg_M:
I like the looks of your rib rack as much as your ribs. I bought the Weber Deluxe Rack and I'm really not happy with it because of the extra tight fit on BB ribs. The extra curvature in the BB bones cause them to stck in the rack, but yours seems to have plenty of room for 6 racks of BB or spares.

Where can I get one like that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Around $10 at Walmart (in Canada)... problem with them is that if you cut your racks in half they do not have support in the middle of the rack.
Solid build as is though.

Burt
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bruce McLeod:
Burtess,
Great looking PP and Ribs!

Where did you find that twin-pack (on sale?) in Canada?

Here on the West Coast, NO pork butt has been on sale for the last 7 months, never mind in a twin pack.

This, despite the constant whining from the Canadian Pork Marketing Gurus who complain about low prices and declining demand. Well, there's huge demand for pork shoulder here from the growing legions of PP aficionados, but no decent supply!

Don't know who's to blame, but everyone I know, who does PP here, goes across the border to buy it, on sale, in the USA.

What kind of finishing sauce do you use on your PP? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was at Foodland stores in Ontario @ $1.49/lb.
They only have 3-4 pounders on display, you have to ask for the big ones. They receive them in the cryovac. These were about 9 pounds each piece.

I am using Steve's recipie sauce on them (http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/fo...0069052/m/8390069313), but most of my family and friends like a tomatoe based sauce.

Burt
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dennis Cooper:
Pork butt looks like it had bit to much smokin' wood and had a big flare up. I hope it tasted ok. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's the way they look, just a dark photo, prob no flash used. Butts really do look like meterorites when they are done.
icon_wink.gif
Burtess, Butts and ribs look great, nice job.
icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dennis Cooper:
Pork butt looks like it had bit to much smokin' wood and had a big flare up. I hope it tasted ok. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup, they are supposed to look like that!
I did them "high heat", around 300F, about a small fist of oak and a fist and half of maple.
Tasted great!
Burt
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
That's the way they look, just a dark photo, prob no flash used. Butts really do look like meterorites when they are done.
icon_wink.gif
Burtess, Butts and ribs look great, nice job.
icon_cool.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, no flash.... flash + foil = MASSIVE GLARE!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Michael G.:
they look fabulous. That's a Raichlen rack,no? And how come I wasn't invited? I'm Canuck!

Cheers,
Michael </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope, just cheapo Walmart racks...

I have problems keeping my neighbours fed, they are like a pack of wolves...
icon_wink.gif
I will let you know if I have any left over next time
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Burt
icon_smile.gif

Back