butt rub

Mike from Iowa

Has anyone tried Bad Byrons Butt Rub. I ran across some today and was wondering if I should pick up a bottle. I would use it on a pork butt that I plan on turning into pulled pork.. Yes, no ,maybe, any reviews..

I can't give a review, but I'd like to know where in Iowa you saw Bad Byron's Butt Rub?
icon_smile.gif

I really like to be a "half-full" kind of guy, but for me the stuff would be a last resort. Just not my thing, especially pork butts.

One of the reasons that I don't like to buy rubs for butts, though, is that most of them are mild enough to use on ribs or chicken with too much paprika and not enough kick for pork butt.

A rub is really a cinch to make, and it all adds up. $$$

Mike, as Dave has sort of suggested,it might be easier to make your own. Plenty of good recipes on this site that don't require a heck of a lot of investment in spices. You can tweak it to satisfy your own individual tastes. I would stay away from paprika and use a ground milder pepper like Ancho. Paprika always left my rubs with a bitter aftertaste.

Lots of good recipes here in the recipe section for dry rubs.

Bad Byron's is OK - basic dry rub with no sugar. It is OK on pork and chicken, but I haven't tried it on anything else. It has the basics - pepper, garlic, etc. and it isn't terrible, but I would experiment with making your own. You would be surprised how easy rubs are to make and how much better they are when you make them fresh yourself.

i used it a few years back. it was ok, but i wouldn't recommend it. i can make a better rub myself with just the basics i have on hand in the kitchen. i would suggest to try something else instead.

I happen to like Butt rub...but I don't buy it anymore though readily avail at the local pool and patio store. Like others, I get self-satisfaction from making my own rub.

This has been my go-to for about a month now:

2 Tablespoons kosher salt
1 Tablespoon turbinado sugar
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 teaspoon oregano leaves (dried)
1 teaspoons coarse black pepper (use fresh cracked pepper)
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

Mike - I'm a big fan of it. I especially love it on butts and brisket (the bark it creates is fantastic). I buy it in the 7# canisters, so its reasonable from a cost standpoint; especially if I'm doing a large cook for a group and don't want to hassle with prepping something on my own.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mitch J.:
Mike - I'm a big fan of it. I especially love it on butts and brisket (the bark it creates is fantastic). I buy it in the 7# canisters, so its reasonable from a cost standpoint; especially if I'm doing a large cook for a group and don't want to hassle with prepping something on my own. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That raises a question about my own assumptions. I know from some brisket cooks that sugar isn't necessary for good bark. Enough time, temp, meat exposure, and smoke will get me bark....but how does a sugarless rub (like Bad Byron's) help get better bark? Just wondering.

Back