Butt Q tonight with Q-view....

Burtess

TVWBB Fan
Just put an 8lb butt and a 7lb picnic on....

Here be the meat:
Buttsmoke11_21_081-1.jpg

Rub her up good:
Buttsmoke11_21_085.jpg

On the way to heaven (using Maple Leaf tonight!!!):
Buttsmoke11_21_086.jpg

Burt
wsmsmile8gm.gif

The meat looks great but I got an eye on that charcoal. Do you have any idea if Maple Leaf is available in Windsor (close to Detroit where I live). I really want to try some.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jerry N.:
Do you have any idea if Maple Leaf is available in Windsor (close to Detroit where I live). I really want to try some. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Nope Jerry. They stopped Importing it years ago (03 IIRC) and I'm still pi$$ed about it.
icon_mad.gif
Best Damn lump and briqs I ever used.
Pics look great there Burt.
icon_cool.gif

Jerry,

Try Rona or Home Hardware in Windsor as those stores carry it in my area.
Maple Leaf definately is the cats ***....

Burt
icon_wink.gif

Just cracked the lid for the first time since I put them on, about 14 hours ago.
It was pretty cold (-11C, 12F) when my temperature alarm went off at around 3:30am and I had to go out and adjust vents and stir the coals.
Internal temps in the early 180's now. Should be ready in another couple of hours
icon_biggrin.gif

Here is what they look like now:
Buttsmoke11_21_087.jpg

Burt
icon_smile.gif

Looks GREAT! It has been some time since I've done PP, a woman at work has been asking for that....love to please the ladies!

I get Maple Leaf at my local Home Hardware also,out in BC. Really like it, but sometimes it can be broken down into some pretty small chunks. After looking at your pics, I think I'm going to have to pull a bag of PP from the freezer for a sandwich.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Martin Meek:
Really like it, but sometimes it can be broken down into some pretty small chunks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This bag had mostly small pieces as well, it seems to be hit or miss with Maple Leaf.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jamie B:
NIce job, Burtess. Is that 14+ hours with Minion method using the Maple Leaf? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes Minion method, but had to add more fuel during the cook, got down to -11C here last night so it really ate up the fuel.

Burt
icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the reply, Burt. I'll have to go back to the drawing board. Last week I tried Maple Leaf for first time, got just 10 hours from MM. I'm in Vancouver, temp was around 10 degrees. Ten hours is nice, but longer would be nicer. Do you just slowly load charcoal, shaking to pack as you go? Looks like you're using water pan?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jamie B:
Thanks for the reply, Burt. I'll have to go back to the drawing board. Last week I tried Maple Leaf for first time, got just 10 hours from MM. I'm in Vancouver, temp was around 10 degrees. Ten hours is nice, but longer would be nicer. Do you just slowly load charcoal, shaking to pack as you go? Looks like you're using water pan? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I stirred them at around 3:30am but had to add when I got up at 7am because the temp had dropped again. I just throw handfulls in the door and mix them around, I probably added half a ring more.
I do use the water pan and I am sure that in these cold temps that this greatly adds to the consumption of lump. I keep the lid temp between 230-250F.

Burt
icon_smile.gif

Hi Jamie, if you want some very long lasting lump, look around for Natures Grilling Hardwood Lump at the local Walmarts (http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag75.htm ) Might have to ask if they have any stored in the backroom since its off season. I really like it and it seems to last forever on those long cooks. Sparks up abit when lighting in the chimney, but settles down and burns great.

Back