Butt pr0n

KenP

TVWBB Pro
Here's a pic of one of the butts I did this past weekend. Ate up a bunch and then Food Saver'ed the rest. We've been eating some almost everyday by reheating in boiling water.

Actually, no boiling. I've had two bags open while boiling so now we simmer them up to temp and that seems to work fine.

I have a question, is it just my butts or is it normal for the meat around the bone to be somewhat bitter?

006.JPG

Ken,

The only reason I've ever read for why meat would be bitter is from smoldering smoke wood. Creosite to be more accurate I think. Which I would not think could even get to the inside meat next to the bone, so no idea there.

As for the vac bag popping open while reheating problem, take and double seal your bags. You might loose another 1/2 to 1 " off each end of the bag, but I've never had a double seal break on me.

Todd

Ken,

Also be sure the sealing area is impeccably clean. Any grease or food partials with compromise the integrity seal .I have wrapped portions in plastic wrap or wax paper before placing them in the seal bag. Or fold the top edges over the outside of the bag to eliminate the possibility of food coming in contact with the seal area while loading the bag then fold the top back into position and seal .

Bitter at the bone...Did you smell of the meat before cooking?

Rick

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick Pruitt:
Ken,

Also be sure the sealing area is impeccably clean. Any grease or food partials with compromise the integrity seal .I have wrapped portions in plastic wrap or wax paper before placing them in the seal bag. Or fold the top edges over the outside of the bag to eliminate the possibility of food coming in contact with the seal area while loading the bag then fold the top back into position and seal .

Bitter at the bone...Did you smell of the meat before cooking?

Rick </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I didn't make sure it was all clean, but when the machine was suctioning out the air, it pulled some moisture to the edge across the area where it would seal.

Meat smelled fine before cooking. I've noticed it before so it could just be me being hypersensitive to something.

i've always heard the meat near the bone was the sweetest, but i have never been able to tell any difference.

Back