butt help asap!

kizer

I have 2 4lb boston butts they have been on since 10:30 am so about 6 1/2 hours internal temp 167. Its not really climbing either. Shouldn't they be about done? Any help please! I also put 2 slaps of spares on @ about 12:30pm would this change the time on the Butts. Temp @ lid has been around 225.

kizer,

There isn't a problem and chances are that is the meats platue. I do however run my lid temp a bit higher than that for butts around 250 and you could go to a 275 ot hurry things along.

Yes adding more cold meat to the cooker could add to the time if it made the temps drop.

Josh

225° at the lid translates to a somewhat lower temp at the top grate, more like 210°. The pause at 167° is what's known as the "plateau" and can last a couple of hours. If the temp is holding steady, the presence of the ribs is not affecting the length of the pork butt cook. Crack your vents open a little and get that lid thermometer up to around 240-250-- you won't affect the final quality of either meat by doing so.

kizer, you've reached the established "plateau," an important part of the cooking process.

I usually plan for 2 hours per pound of (individual) butts, so for 4 pounders, it would be 8 hours, plus 1 to 2 hours of leeway cooking time, plus 2 to 4 hours of resting, wrapped, in a cooler. A total of ABOUT 12 hours to cook 4-pound butts.

Others here will advise foiling and putting them in the oven in order to shorten the total time. I'd say foil your meat and put them into a 300•F oven until they reach about 190•F internal. Let them rest for a while, then pull.

Since you haven't gotten any answers yet, I'm writing this on the fly, but I know that others will improve on this.

Rita

Rita,

You type slow...... Doug almost as slow... and I am a typing wizard
icon_wink.gif

I will admit mine was shorter on info, but I did it while holding a screaming two month old. You did however offer different info and in more detail.

What a great crowd we do have here three cheer for us
icon_biggrin.gif

Depending on where your "At the lid" reading is being taken you can be up to 40° out or more.

As everyone else has said crack your vents open, if you have a long probe thermometer push it into one of the top vents as far as it will go, and wait till it steadies out.

I like to go for 250° - 260° at the lid, wsms can hold that for hours and hours.

Are your lil' butts bone in or out? If they are bone in you can use the bone for a wiggle test to see if it is done, when done to perfection, the bone will slide out without any effort at all. If you are looking to pull the pork, cook up to an interal temp of 190°, then foil them and rest them they will keep cooking up to the 200° good pull temp. If they are bone out and you are going to chop them, you can cook them to 175° - 185° then rest them 30 minutes and slice and chop them.

At least that is the way I do them!

Oh! I type real, real slow, but I was holding on to a screaming 36 year old.
icon_biggrin.gif

they are bone-in i just took them off @ a temp of 166. I wrapped in foil in threw them in the oven @ 300 with some apple juice. I have some hungry folks here. Will letting the butts stand for an hour in a cooler be enough once they hit 180-190? I live @ about 6000ft could this effect smokes on the weber?

Cooking at 225 lid "really slows the process". It doesn't hurt anything, and some people prefer it, but I don't see any real need for it.

An 8 lb butt would likely take 19-20 hours if cooked at 210 grate.

A couple of 4 lb'ers probably'd take 11-12.

Once you put them in the oven, they'll finish pretty fast. If the bone pulls loose, they are ready to pull.

I'd still try and let them rest for an hour or so.

Good luck.

J..o..s..h,....v..e..r..y....f..u..n..n..y !

You're right - hip, hip, hooray for the group! And especially to Chris Allingham for making it all possible.

Rita

Kizer,

Where do you live?

I've had the hungry guest problem before too. My seasoned guests know that the Q is done when the Q is done and we try to have enough food to hold them over and with time my I've learned to judge when the food will be done.

If you needed it in a hurry you made the right choice. I hope all went well and no one starved.

And as Rita pointed out.... I am very funny.

Josh

Thanks for the help. We are getting ready to eat i will let ya know how it goes. Ribs are looking good. I have only cooked ribs,brats,turkey breast so after this time it will work out better. I will let you all know how it goes. KC born livin in Durango.

Back