Butt cook: Slow and cold...

So, yesterday about 7.30 I put up two butts each @ 10 lbs. At 4 am the dome temp had dropped to 180, so I added coals, opened some vents, and went back to sleep. This morning the WSM was still at 180, and the meat at 145. I've added more coals and opened everything up wide. The temp is now 260 and pork at 155 and it is noon.

I plan to serve about 6, but as long as I'm in front of the screen at kickoff, time doesn't worry me. I gave myself lots of leeway - 3 hours for resting and 1 for pulling. If I cut resting to an hour, and I know I can pull in a half hour or so. So, my latest remove time should be 4 pm at the latest. Any guesses to whether it will be done in time?

I'm asking because if necessary I can foil them and put them in the oven at 350, but I have to know when my move-to-oven cut off point is.

Thanks,
Canada Mike

I'd go until 2:00-230.

If you do the oven thing, it won't take that long to finish them (couple of hours, maybe) .....assuming your temps are at or below the 170 range.

But I'd bet your internal temps climb fairly quickly now.

Keep the wsm cranking wide open until then.

id maybe be concerned with how long it took those butts to get from 40 to 140. food safety guidelines want the meat to go from 40 - 140 within 4 hours.

good luck.

It got to 140 in reasonable time. Right now it's at 172, so I might wait until 3 to see if they reach temp. If they're at 180 would it take more then an hour at 350 to get them to 190?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Michael G.:
It got to 140 in reasonable time. Right now it's at 172, so I might wait until 3 to see if they reach temp. If they're at 180 would it take more then an hour at 350 to get them to 190? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

cant help you there, I dont put bbq in the oven.

hope it turns out for ya.

Put on a 10lb shoulder @ 3am est. in my weber 22" kettle w/smokenator. Having difficulty maintaining steady level temperature (varying between 190-260) Any suggestions? And do you think I will be able to take it off at 6pm est?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Michael G.:
It got to 140 in reasonable time. Right now it's at 172, so I might wait until 3 to see if they reach temp. If they're at 180 would it take more then an hour at 350 to get them to 190? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah, if you get it to 180, I'd think an hour at 350 (foiled) would be plenty of time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DDonald:
Just checked w/thermometer 156 degrees....
Thoughts? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hard to say.....if it's had enough smoke you might just throw it in the oven if you want to pull it.

If you get it into the 170's you can slice it.

Craig's right. If you want it pulled and ready to eat at 6, then you might not have time. My butts are now at 184, so I can likely remove them between 3 and 4.

DDonald, don't be afraid to let the temp crank up, and you might well make it.

Cheers.

Craig and Mike,

Sincerest thanks for saving my day!!!!! I removed the steam tray and cranked the grill to about 360 for an hour then wrapped that rascal in foil for another 2 hours...took it off at 6:15pm @200 and had time to let it rest for an hour before halftime. The pork was the only item out of many we had for the festivities that had nothing leftover!!!!!

Again my thanks!

Back