Burnt Ends, black eyed peas with collards

Gary H. NJ

TVWBB Platinum Member
The constant, steady posting of quality cooks here is so impressive. I haven't smoked in what seems a very long time, so it was great to get out there today.

Picked up a nice fat 15+ lb whole Angus brisket yesterday. Separated the flat from the deckle and made burnt ends of the deckle. Deckle on the left. The flat is being cured in the fridge for St. Patrick's Day...
photo1_zps9ca97bb5.jpg

photo2_zpsda7488a5.jpg

Rubbed and ready to go. I've been mixing up my rubs as needed. Beef: cumin, coriander, green/white/black pepper, ancho, cayenne, oregano, thyme, granulated garlic and onion, coffee; with a little yellow mustard to hold it onto the beef.
photo3_zps8e171050.jpg

Just let it go at 250-270 for a few hours, then foiled for 1.5 hr. Back on the grill to tighten up the bark, then a slather of the sauce (with a little honey added).
Very happy with the smoke ring. Note deep, but visible.
photo4_zps10cefb2f.jpg

Simple is best. Baked sweet potato and black eyed peas with collards. Oh, made a BBQ sauce to go with the ends. I've been to a place near work a couple times and enjoyed their Q. Baileys makes a great BBQ sauce; has a lot of apple butter. I tried to duplicate to the best of my memory. Based the recipe on this one. Not bad at all. I tweaked the recipe to my taste of course...
photo5_zpscfb90274.jpg

Thanks for stopping by. Be well all!

Clint- point and deckle are same thing.
Update: seems I was wrong. The burnt ends are from the point.
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/brisketselect.html

Last edited:
Gary, those are some seriously killer burnt ends. Beautiful bark and smoke ring. The collards & black eyed peas look terrific too.

P.S. Cool Masamoto knife in the 2nd photo. VG10 version or carbon steel?

Been missing the beauty of your cooks Gary.
But you made up some ground with this one!
Fine down home dining my friend!

thanks everyone for the support and kind words. As always, I know I have friends here that enjoy some good home-cooked food. Jerome: VG-10. I have just a few Japanese knives, but I love them. Luckily, I live close enough to go here.

Back