Burgers and Dogs NJ Style

Steven A

TVWBB Super Fan
Apparently, the Texas Weiner in unique to NJ (no, this is not a typo. Local lore tells me that it's a "weiner" not a "wiener" when served in NJ). Anyway, very simply: burger or dog, spicy brown mustard (I use Sabretts which may be the best worldwide), chili sauce (no beens), and chopped onions. Traditionally, the dogs are deep fried. IT IS ESSENTIAL THAT THE DOGS HAVE SKIN! NO SKINLESS FRANKS HERE! Without the skin, you lack that "crunch" when you bite into it.

Burgers on. Just plain frozen beef patties.
IMG_7982.jpg

Add some dogs from Sussex Meat Packing
IMG_7983.jpg

Plated. TWO AWAY TWO!
IMG_7985.jpg

Plated. Simple, but super-yummy!

Taste of spring right there!

As a Jersey grill guy I'll say that Thumann's natural casing dogs are my faves. Followed closely by Kocher's butcher in Ridgefield...

210307123_947d637d84.jpg

210307076_209727d4ff.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe InJersey:

As a Jersey grill guy I'll say that Thumann's natural casing dogs are my faves. Followed closely by Kocher's butcher in Ridgefield...

210307123_947d637d84.jpg

210307076_209727d4ff.jpg
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've been going to Kocher's since I was a kid. Pricey, but quality meats. Have to agree that Thumanns are right behind them. The dogs from Sussex Meat are as good as any Thumanns I've had.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steven A.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe InJersey:

210307123_947d637d84.jpg

210307076_209727d4ff.jpg
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've been going to Kocher's since I was a kid. Pricey, but quality meats. Have to agree that Thumanns are right behind them. The dogs from Sussex Meat are as good as any Thumanns I've had. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've got to try them next time I;m in that neck of the woods. What's up with the black nugget LB that you posted on here. What's it like?

From what I can tell, black nugget is a mix of molasses, worsted shire sauce, spices, and maybe browning sauce. When you get the marinaded steaks from Meat Packing, they're awesome

Wow - Sussex Meat ...bringing back some memories. Lived in Wharton for a few years and we had one right in town. Great Great Great stuff and great people.

I know from seeing the great pic's you Jersey boys post that Y'all can Q.

But what? Lookin' like fat free dogs going on there or worse Angus labeled.

icon_biggrin.gif

Back