Building a rack for a Pizza Stone

Jim McKelvey;
Let the pizza tell you whether or not the temps are too high. If the top and bottom cook at the same time, and the total time is not excessive then "you are there". If the bottom cooks faster than the top, then the temp of the stone is higher than it should be. Commercial pizza ovens cook a pizza in less than five minutes (sometimes MUCH less). Using a pizza stone rack such as we have here, a full large Weber chimney plus a full Weber small chimney (both lit) should give you the temps you are looking for.

It will probably take from 7-10 minutes (depending on your particular grill, etc) for a finished pizza.

I use a flash light through the top vent to check on progress. When the dough is browned on the top/outside of the pizza it is done.

Everyone's equipment is a bit different. A few pizza's and you will be right where you need to be.

Good luck and show us pictures and text of your success!

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Would it be possible to use two of these ? I already have one that barely gets used.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B01MSYK6XQ/tvwb-20

61gisR5WPmL._SL1010_.jpg

Those are both pretty good suggestions! I have the warming rack and use it for extra sausage space but, that’s about all, this is an excellent suggestion. The hovergrill is too BTW!

I have the hovergrill from my Smokenator, and I just ordered a cast iron pizza stone. Sounds like that might be a good match. I just wonder if there's enough room under the lid to fit the hovergrill and the pizza stone with a loaded pie on it, or if I would need to add my rotisserie ring to elevate the lid enough to fit everything.

Not sure that will be much different than the stone on the grill, the idea is to,get the pie higher in the dome if you add the roti ring, you’ve just raised the height inside to probably more clearance than the stone on the grill in the first place.
However, you’ve got the components, give it a shot!
Why an iron “Stone”?

Just wanted something new to play with. The iron stone I bought has about a 1" lip all the way around it, so I can also use it for other various cooks. And it isn't that big of a stone, I think the biggest pizza I will be able to do on it is probably a 12". Between a cast stone, the other 2 pizza pans and a stone I have in the house, the fire bricks I bought, the hovergrill from my smokenator, and the willingness to play around, surely I can create some good food...

Acquisition and experimentation shed a very bright light on this ENTIRE site!
Find it,
Figure it out,
Fix it,
Feed people!
The 4 F’s of “Cuisine de Backyard”, n’est ce pas?

Back