buckboard bacon emergency!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim_W

TVWBB Super Fan
I just took my BB out of the cure for the 2 hr soak before smoking.

There are still some pink places in the meat. Is it cured through?

I'm getting ready to fire up the WSM and I don't want to ruin 15/lbs of effort and 10 days of waiting!

Bacon makers chime in here please!

Jim

well now, both times I've done it (second batch is smoking right now) I saw the same thing.

Scared me too, but no one died so far. The second batch I rubbed that dang cure all over, every nook and cranny, trying to make sure no more red spots. Still got some when I pulled em out this morning.

Maybe a more experienced curer can help us here,
but again, my first batch got raves, no taste difference between pieces I could tell, and no one got sick.

Jim,

I wouldn't worry about it, you still have to fry it before you eat it and it will be fine. I would guess this is caused by the cure not getting all the way through the meat, perhaps additional time curing might solve theis problem.

Hi-Mountain does have a phone number that can be called for Q&A, and they have a forum on their site that they respond to questions in.

Let us know how it is after you fry up the first batch.

Thanks , its in the freezer now firming up. Gonna carry it to a local Mom & Pop store and have it sliced.

It sure got to 140 alot faster than I figured it would! Hope it got enough smoke! Guess we'll see.

Shame to waste a good fire so I loaded WSM up with bone in chicken breasts! Just had to throw some rub on them and put 'em on. No time to prep!

Jim

Might want to verify with them they can/will slice it for you. Health codes usually dictate that stores cannot process product that has been outside their control.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug D:
[qb] Might want to verify with them they can/will slice it for you. Health codes usually dictate that stores cannot process product that has been outside their control. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I did, personal friend of mine is the owner.

Jim

I have a buckboard emergency too. I didn't cook enough! Boy oh boy, that was great bacon. Even my picky daughter who only likes her bacon "soft" was begging for more and she didn't care if it was crispy or soft. We had BLTs for dinner tonight and I fried up about a pound.

I smoked 6.5 pounds of it, but I wish I'd doubled it. It reached 140 internal in an 1:30 for one piece and 1:45 for the thicker piece at 220-230 lid temp. 2 chunks of apple wood made a nice smoke. This is really good stuff.

I've developed a real affection for mine, too, after not being sure if I like it initially. Now I regret giving any of it away, and like you, wish I'd done twice as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back