Brisket Woes: 9 hour flats just don't make sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff lowe

TVWBB Super Fan
This is very frustrating. I put a flat that weighed only a little over 3 lbs at 2PM today and 9 hours later the thing is still not done. I wrapped it in beef broth and will wait for it to cool and continue cooking tomorrow.

This is totally ridiculous!! No other meat gives this much grief. Before when I made briskets I would start them on the wsm until 170 deg internal finish them in the oven until 195-200 and they still would take about 3 hours a pound to cook.

What on earth is going on? I have heard of low and slow but this is crazy!!!!

Jeff
The smaller the brisket the less the time rule of thumb is going to work. Connective tissue takes time to break down, a nine pounder or bigger the time per pound will work fairly good.
When cooking one the size you have, it's done when it's tender. If it was a select brisket your time is not out of line.
Jim

I have had mixed success with small brisket flats. Often times, it has little fat covering as the butcher thinks he is doing you a favor by triming the meat.

Two tricks you might try next time around.

Layer some thick pieces of bacon on top of the brisket. As the fat renders, it helps baste the meat. After 4-5 hours, the bacon is cooked and makes a tasty snack.

Baste with beef broth flavored with your favorite spices (I use whole jalapeno peppers that have the skin scored to let out the flavor but not the seeds.

At the 2 hours per pound mark (if not yet tender), wrap in foil with the broth, checking with a thermometer for 190 or testing by feel or my favorite way, slicing off a corner to taste. When it is tender on the edge, you are an hour or two from being tender near the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back