Brisket Too Fast?

Mark D. Anderson

TVWBB Member
Morning all!

I'm trying my very brisket on my new-ish WSM this morning.

It's a 7-pound first cut brisket and I was figuring somewhere between 7-9 hours for the smoke.

When I put the meat on the digital thermometer I inserted read 42 degrees, but after about an hour or so it's reading 112 degrees. My smoker is reading 225 degrees pretty consistently.

Is that too fast? Is my thermometer off or inserted incorrectly? Or is this pace normal?

Thanks in advance!!!

wsmsmile8gm.gif

If you can't wait for the brisket to slowly go through the stall (if your guests or family is waiting), you can foil wrap it at 160 and get to 200 in an hour of two.

Thanks guys, didn't know there would be a stall like that. I've still got hours and hours before dinner company so I should be fine. I was just worried that I'd have it done like 5 hours too soon!

Forgot to ask too, what's a good final temp?

And thanks so much again! Whew!

Cook it until a probe, such as your thermometer, slides in like it's going through warm butter.
If it's done early wrap it in foil and then some towels and stick it in a cooler or your microwave. It should hold hot for 2-4 hours like that. If holding take it off and let it sit for 15-20 minutes before wrapping it so it stops the cooking process.

The stall is when the connective tissues in the brisket start to break down. Pork Butts do the same thing as well. Just ride it out and remember "lo and slo"!!

I rarely use a thermo anymore for judging briskets by temp. Like Bob said, if your probe (or fork) slides in like butter, time to take her off and wrap her up in foil and let her rest for a couple of hours before slicing or pulling!!

I am so totally thankful for all of everyone's help! Just mopped it and it's looking so good!

Thanks again, all! I'll letcha know how it's going later on...

If you have time read Harry Soo's thread at the top of the barbecuing forum for great info on briskets. If no time he basically says cooking temp of 250, foil and finish temp of meat 198-206. Good luck.

OK, so I've got 4 hours to go before dinner and I'm showing a meat temp of 170. Mopping a little about once per hour.

Any suggestions on anything I should or shouldn't be doing?

You could foil now with HD foil. The brisket needs time to rest after it reaches 190-200. If your guests cant wait for dinner you could wrap it in foil put it in an aluminum pan and put er in the oven at 350 degrees. When target temp is reached turn off the oven take out the foiled brisket and wrap it in a big towel and let it sit for a couple of hours. The juices need to re-distribute back into the meat. When cooking the juices are pushed internally to the outer portions of the brisket. If you carve too soon the juices will be all over your cutting board instead of the meat!!

I have started my briskets extra early and had it hold wrapped and covered for up too -4- hours. No problem, still very hot and cuts like butter!!

Tell your guests or family that you can't rush perfection and it will be worth the wait
wsmsmile8gm.gif

you can't rush perfection and it will be worth the wait

Amen! I'm sure the time has passed but foiling is not a bad thing. In fact it is a big aid to many of us. Foil it now and take it to 200-205 fork tender.

I know....I'm too late

1. a flat can get over 100 degrees fast, but it will still take a long time to finish.
2. if you're lookin', it ain't cookin'. every time you lift that lid, you're adding 15-20 minutes to the cook.

Ended up foiling it and it worked perfectly. Had to hold it in a cooler in fact.

It was so good my father-in-law moaned through dinner.

Thanks for the help everyone! Much appreciated!

Glad it was a successful cook, but in the future you might skip all of the mopping. It just adds more time to the cook and boogers up your rub.

Back