Brisket Tips

Luis L.

Banned
I smoked a brisket this pass weekend. I was pleased, but it could have been better. After 175F internal is when I started probing. I noticed that the edges was probing like butter. The middle was tough. About 3 hours later the very middle of it probed like butter. Mind you I checked 15 minutes prior to that and it was not completely buttery probed. After resting I sliced it, across the grain. It was very tender and the slices couldn't hold up. However it wasn't very moist. Did I pull too late, too early? The brisket was not foiled.

DSCN4590.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pat McCreight:
If the slices didn't hold up, I would say you overcooked it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's the weird part about it. I probed it and it went through like butter, but 15 minutes prior their was still some resistance. Is it possible to over cook it in that 15 minute span? I thought it didn't hold up because of my cheap knives. Not sure.

Did you still monitor your meat temp after you started probing? Just curious as to what your final temp was before you pulled the meat.

I've only done a few brisket, but they have all turned out exactly how I expected. If it was over cooked you could try pulling it when there is slight resistance in the middle, foil and let it sit in a cooler for a few hours. That should help it along towards tender without over cooking. Plus you get the proper rest time as well.

One thing I was sure to invest in was a good knife. That too could be the reason it fell apart on you.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Luis L.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pat McCreight:
If the slices didn't hold up, I would say you overcooked it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's the weird part about it. I probed it and it went through like butter, but 15 minutes prior their was still some resistance. Is it possible to over cook it in that 15 minute span? I thought it didn't hold up because of my cheap knives. Not sure. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I doubt it got overcooked in fifteen minutes. I think it has to do with what you consider done when probing. Just chalk it up to practice and try again. Was it just a flat, or did you cook a whole packer? It's kind of hard to tell, but it doesn't look like there was much fat on the brisket. If it was a closely trimmed flat, you may need to adjust the way you cook it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Theron:
Did you still monitor your meat temp after you started probing? Just curious as to what your final temp was before you pulled the meat.

I've only done a few brisket, but they have all turned out exactly how I expected. If it was over cooked you could try pulling it when there is slight resistance in the middle, foil and let it sit in a cooler for a few hours. That should help it along towards tender without over cooking. Plus you get the proper rest time as well.

One thing I was sure to invest in was a good knife. That too could be the reason it fell apart on you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, after it got to about 175F, I didn't monitor it. Just probed for tenderness. I wish I would have checked the temp just for the heck of it. I think I have to let my next one rest for longer time. Thanks!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Luis L.:

That's the weird part about it. I probed it and it went through like butter, but 15 minutes prior their was still some resistance. Is it possible to over cook it in that 15 minute span? I thought it didn't hold up because of my cheap knives. Not sure. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I doubt it got overcooked in fifteen minutes. I think it has to do with what you consider done when probing. Just chalk it up to practice and try again. Was it just a flat, or did you cook a whole packer? It's kind of hard to tell, but it doesn't look like there was much fat on the brisket. If it was a closely trimmed flat, you may need to adjust the way you cook it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm positive it was probed to super tender. Like knife through butter tender. Same way I probe my butts for pulling. It was just a flat, but still had fat cap on it. It's an expensive learning experience for sure. Thanks!

Luis-did you get this flat from Costco like you were asking about last week? I tried doing one and mine was just not tender at all. I probably needed to cook longer, but with meat temp at 200 I got nervous and pulled.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tim L.:
Luis-did you get this flat from Costco like you were asking about last week? I tried doing one and mine was just not tender at all. I probably needed to cook longer, but with meat temp at 200 I got nervous and pulled. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah it was flat from Costco. Not sure if that's the reason though. I believe mine was tender as it wasn't chewy nor tough at all. It even fell a apart a bit. I'm leaning on thinking it was a tad over done. Not sure though. As it didn't probe like butter 15 minutes prior to pulling. What a mystery!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">After resting I sliced it, across the grain. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How did you rest it and for how long? Did you wrap it in foil or leave it on the cutting board tented with foil? I'm thinking maybe it was tender when you pulled it but carryover cooking took place while resting leading to an overcooked brisket.

Nice!

Funny, doesn't look dry. Looks great! Luv the bark, especially on that end piece!

You can pass all the "dry" stuff this way!
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jerry P.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">After resting I sliced it, across the grain. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How did you rest it and for how long? Did you wrap it in foil or leave it on the cutting board tented with foil? I'm thinking maybe it was tender when you pulled it but carryover cooking took place while resting leading to an overcooked brisket. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I foiled it tightly and probably only rested 15 minutes or so.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TravisH:
Nice!

Funny, doesn't look dry. Looks great! Luv the bark, especially on that end piece!

You can pass all the "dry" stuff this way!
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It wasn't completely dry but not as moist as I would have wanted. thanks!

I will try to find the post again, but when I first started reading these forums I read post where they discussed the resting period for meat and how the moisture soaks back into the meat as it cools.

Most brisket topics I read rest longer than15 minutes. I personally let it rest around 2 hours, but I'm sure you can get away with less.

I'm curious about which method you used for this cook. Did you use something from this site? I generally pick a topic from the cooking topics which best meets my overall goal of the cook and modify slightly.

I've yet to be steered in the wrong direction, but do a lot of reading and prep prior to putting meat in the WSM.

I did an overnight brisket last night that came out a bit dry. I think the heat was a bit high but my real question is about the smoke ring.

I took the brisket out of the fridge, trimmed some fat, rubbed it and put it back in the fridge for about an hour. Tossed brisket on using minion method with 2 fist sized chunks of cherry. I also buried 3 fist sized chunks in the unlit coal to be consumed later.

When I cut the brisket I could see some smoke ring/pink on a few slices near the edge of the flat. But most of the flat did not have any smoke ring.

Also I used a lot of rub which turned into kind of a crust, really, on the outside. Is it possible this crust interfered with the smoke ring? The meat had a wonderful soft smoky taste from the cherry, not bitter or heavy.

Flat and point chunks
Brisket%20Mar%202011_%20001.jpg

Flat closeup
Brisket%20Mar%202011_%20003.jpg

Maybe I just need to use a hickory or pecan with beef.

The smokering is caused by a chemical reaction between elements in the smoke and the meat surface. Smokerings have nothing to do with smoke flavor. Smoke particles are deposited on the surface of the item being smoked and that's where the flavor comes from. Smoke does not 'penetrate', contrary to what one reads all over the place.

Yes, a heavy rub might create enough of a barrier to prevent ring formation.

On resting: If one cooks brisket to tender there is no need to rest more than 20-30 minutes. Resting longer is helpful if one pulls shy of tender and in looking for residual cooking to take it to done. I rest - tented with foil, not wrapped - for 20-30 minutes as I always cook to tender. I also cook at 335-375 or higher. If one cooks to tender and then rests too long, especially if wrapped or cooked at high heat, there is a risk of overcooking during the rest.

Gents, Long time lurker first time poster. Here are a few things to remember when cooking brisket. (or all meats for that matter)

Probe in one spot. Stick in in the thickest part of the center and go half way in. Every time you probe the meat and remove it your poking a whole in your bark, which is keeping all of the juices in. Juices will gush out of the meat and render it dry.

Secondly, pull it at 180 and let it rest for 45-60 minutes wrapped in foil. The meat will continue to cook approximately 5 to 10 more degrees. (especially on a hot cook of over 300 you won't see the same kind of rise in temp when resting on a cook at temps of 250) DO NOT, I repeat do not pull the probe. Foil around it. The longer resting time will assure the juices stay in the meat and not on the cutting board. Be patient. You will be rewarded

Third, if your buying cryo-vac briskets from Costco, don't trim to much of the fat off the top. If there is very little fat on it like a trimmed brisket at the local grocery store ask the meat dept. for some extra fat or go for some bacon and place it on top while cooking.

Try those instructions out and you should have better luck on your next cook. Your meat does look overcooked. You should be able to pull it apart and still have some give to it.

Your smoke ring and bark however, are money. Great color and texture! Thanks for posting with a picture.

Back