Brisket Size

Luis L.

Banned
What size packer brisket do you prefer to purchase? Do you believe a certain size brisket gives you better results than others?

I usually get a Certified Angus Beef brisket in the 15 pound range. If I don't have a large enough group to warrant a brisket that size, I serve the flat to the guests and use the point to make chili.

Bill

Im with Casey I've had pretty good luck with briskets in the 10-14lb range. Cooking to the touch more then the temp also helps alot I've noticed!Every brisket is different

I've been buying 8-10 pounder Certified Angus the last few months. I used to think bigger is better but I now look for tight grain in the flat and hopefully good marbling.

Be careful though, look the brisket over carefully. You don't want a huge hunk of hard fat that you'll end up tossing.

Russ

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Russ Sylvester:
I've been buying 8-10 pounder Certified Angus the last few months. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Russ, are you buying those somewhere locally?

Steve

With the cost of stuff going up, although I prefer 12-15 pound packers, my biggest concern is whether it's reduced for quick sale.

Hey Steve!

Yeah, believe it or not the Sam's Club in Cocoa carries them. The Sam's in West Melbourne only has them once in a blue moon. Evidently Sam's Club stores are NOT the same.

Both stores get their big meat shipments really early on Tuesday mornings and usually get put in the bins by about lunchtime. If I'm going for a competition you can bet that I'm standing there when they put them out.

One other place I found is Ken's Custom Meats on Aurora Road. He's the closest thing to a real butcher that I've found but even he normally needs 2-3 days to get it. My only problem with going to him is that he picks out the brisket, not me.

Russ

Thanks Russ!

I've been frustrated looking for packers at the Sam's in West Melbourne, the BJ's in Palm Bay, and the Wal-Mart at Wickham and Sarno.

I've seen Ken's sign many times but have never stopped in - now I have an excuse to do so.

By the way, did you ever get around to checking out JC's BBQ on Aurora?

Steve

No, never did.

My next step for all the meats is to incorporate me/my team as a business. That way I can get into restaraunt depot with a business license. I hear they have a HUGE selection of meats. I especially want to try out the Halal Brisket. I've seen some of it and it's sort of a step between CA and Wagyu.

Russ

Back