Brisket Size questions

MikeD125

TVWBB All-Star
So I have a 18.5 and want to take a stab at the brisket. I am wondering what type and size of brisket I should go with.

Packer
Can I get a full packer on there? I assume if i could find a smaller one (8-9 pounds) it would fit.

Flat
Concerns are less fat but I can foil to compensate and keep some moisture, I also can inject. What is a good size of flat brisket?

General
What type and size of brisket do you usually cook on your 18.5 inch wsm?

THANKS!

A 12-13 pound packer will fit on the 18.5 with no problem and you can shoe horn a bigger one and make it fit. I like the whole packer myself. I like having both flat and point meat. When I buy them I try one with the most uniform thickness. You probably won't find one perfectly uniform, but try to get as close as possible. That way the flat and point will cook more evenly.

Mark I have an 18.5 and I will go up to 14 lbs. I have to stuff it between the handles and I used a dish to hump it in the middle, I'm with Mark, 12 lb might easier first time out. Read the article below, some really good advice. You don't have to cook high heat but there is still plenty to be learned from the info. Note the foiling method. Read te post below yours on the "The Train Wreck Otherwise known as my First Brisket." Some great info comming out there too from the members.
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?718...ation&highlight=brisket+compilation+High+heat

Good Luck.

Sorry, this post was intended for Mike reference to Mark.

Last edited:
Mark I have an 18.5 and I will go up to 14 lbs. I have to stuff it between the handles and I used a dish to hump it in the middle, I'm with Mark, 12 lb might easier first time out. Read the article below, some really good advice. You don't have to cook high heat but there is still plenty to be learned from the info. Note the foiling method. Read te post below yours on the "The Train Wreck Otherwise known as my First Brisket." Some great info comming out there too from the members.
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?718...ation&highlight=brisket+compilation+High+heat

Good Luck.

My post is the train wreck one..that is how I would describe my first brisket that I did last weekend :). Like Gary said, alot of good information from fellows quers regarding my issues. You and I have some similarities in the size of our WSM and this being our first brisket. The main thing I took away from my first try was temperature control is key. I had problems keeping the smoker between 225 and 275 and tried to do an overnight cook.

Best of luck and hopefully you can learn something from my mistakes. :wsm:

Save yourself shoe leather. Get the whole cryovac of brisket, not the flat. It'll be night and day juicer regardless of how much it's injected

Guys, I would use water next time too especially if you are trying to do an overnight cook. That is what the cooker was designed for. My smoker will dial in pretty quickly and stay there with water. I'm not saying you should always use water, I don't but starting with the basics is a good way to begin. I would make sure you use the minion method for lighting too. Take your time and let the WSM do its thing.
A packer is the way to go.

I'd look for a 15 pound packer, by the time you trim it up you'll find a way to squeeze it in, plus it'll also shrink a bit after a few hours. A full packer is the way to go, no question about it.

I did a 16+ lb'er a month ago. Nice & thick through flat. Didn't even need to put aluminum foil balls underneath to prop it up (St Louis Arch style) to fit.

I buy what I want and make it fit on an 18.5.

Back