Brisket rescue

Shannon M.

Ok need some help. I messed up timing on my brisket. (more on that when I am not on my iPhone.)
I have 14# and a 9# brisket that are almost ready to pull off the smoker. Problem: dinner is in 8 hours!
Now what? Hold? Reheat?
Or throw away and buy pizza? :)

I'd slice it and foil it to reheat. Add the drippings to the foil or some beef broth. Reheat in 200 degree oven for 1-11/2 hours. Foil it fairly tight so you don't have a steam bath going.

I would pull them and let them rest for a short time. Wrap them tight in saran wrap and pitch them in the freezer to cool them fast. An hour and a half before you want to serve, slice them cold and reheat in a foil pan with broth/drippings.

Burt :)

I was at a competition a couple years ago down the Cape (of Cod Massachusetts). I had a brisket and pork butt on and they also finished early. I held them wrapped in saran wrap, foil and an outter wrap of towel, set in a cooler, for a little over 5 hours. When I went to slice the brisket and pull the butt they were still wicked hot. I think you would do fine to hold them just as I did for 8 hours.

Thanks for all the responses.
All is well that’s ends well.
I ended up pulling the brisket off of the smoker, letting them rest for 30 minutes and then putting them in the freezer for 45 minutes to help with the cooling. Then I left them in the refrigerator until a couple hours before serving time. Put some of my mop sauce on them and wrapped them in foil in the oven at 350. When I got to about 150 or 160 I sliced them up. Turned out great.

Whenever I get the chance to learn a lesson and still can serve good que, I will take it and be thankful.

My mistake: I had never done larger than a 9# whole brisket before. When I planned for this bigger cook I took the total weight of brisket x 1 or 1.25 hours. However I had 2 briskets not one 25# brisket.
Thanks again for your help. I am sure I will be back for more.
Respectfully,

Freeze it. When you thaw and reheat it it will be just as good if not better.
Ok need some help. I messed up timing on my brisket. (more on that when I am not on my iPhone.)
I have 14# and a 9# brisket that are almost ready to pull off the smoker. Problem: dinner is in 8 hours!
Now what? Hold? Reheat?
Or throw away and buy pizza? :)

Back