Brisket questions

Chris W.

TVWBB Pro
I've done quite a few briskets before, but for the holidays this year I'll be smoking a Waygu brisket for the first time. I'll be cooking it in my 18.5" WSM Saturday and slicing it, reheating it and feeding it to a large crowd on Sunday.

As I said, this is my first time with waygu, and I read here that it cooks faster than normal briskets. I wanted to hear from anyone here that might have experience with this breed of cow and see if that is the case. I'll also be cooking a non-waygu brisket at the same time, and right now my plan is to to with the waygu on the top grate and the other on the bottom (I'm not sure of the sizes of either yet; I know I'm getting the waygu on Friday, and will probably get the other the same day). Sound good?

Overall, any tips on waygu? Is it really that much different from regular Price Chopper brisket? I'm still planning on cooking until fork tender, so temp won't be that much of an issue, but I'd like to have some kind of plan of attack in mind for this.

Thanks in advance for any help!

I usually cook them at the low end of low/slow so they don't cook faster. At typical low/slow temps they well might.

If using water in the pan I'd likely go with the Wagyu on the bottom. They can reach done at lower internals so if you're one to follow internals check for tender sooner than you normally might.

Thanks for the tips, Kevin! I will place the waygu on the bottom grate. I got a 10.3 pounder on the waygu; any idea on a timeline if I shoot for 225 to 250 temperatures for most of the cook?

Thanks again!

Thickness is more operative than weight. And it will depend on actual temps. But probably 10.5-11.5 hours.

I did a thick 10-pounder a while back @210 or so. It took significantly longer but was wonderful. Lots of leeway with good Wagyu.

Geez I find it hard enough to find a decent brisket and you guys get to pick the actual type of cow yours come from. I'm soooooo jealous.

To be fair, this was the first time I picked what cow my brisket came from. Usually I just go to Price Chopper or Sam's Club and have no choice.

The briskets turned out well. I was very impressed. Thanks for the help, Kevin!

Back