Brisket question for Kevin K?

David Collier

TVWBB Fan
Kevin, Sounds as if you are sold on maintaining about 250 lid temp, foil brisket at 170 internal, and then......put back in smoker until 190 or so, or foil, wrap in towels, place in prewarmed cooler?

My finish temp is often more like upper 180s but yes, that's the advice I offer most often and it's based on what I think works well for most people's circumstances, i.e. the type of briskets most buy, cooker set-up, and the expectations of most.

Foil is optional, really, but I find foiling ~170 can be helpful primarily because it can facilitate the equalization of moisture levels across the brisket and, in the case of leaner cuts or trimmed flats, lessen the impact of evaporative loss (water) and drip (rendered fat run-off). An evenly thick upper end Choice or Prime cut 'needs' foil less than a low end Choice or Select but all can be done with or without, the choice is the cook's but I think foil is a good idea for most supermarket briskets.

I think 250 lid is a good temp for the briskets most buy, too.

I pre-warm coolers rarely--but I live in Florida. If it's cool and you store your cooler outside or in the garage then warming it first is a good idea.

I don't always follow my own advice because I do not always cook 'conventional' briskets or my circumstances are different--and so I make adjustments. I cook ungraded briskets (which might grade anywhere), very lean cuts from young grass-fed and -finished beeves, and Primes and Kobe/Wagyu cuts. Most of these require different approaches in cook temp and/or finish temp and/or foiling. Sometimes I do cooks at higher temps (upper 200s) or much higher temps (mid 300s) but that's with a different mindset and different circumstances. I don't compete so I am not always focusing on honing the one approach and many of my cooks fall way outside the realm of 'typical' barbecue due to approach, presentation, sauce(s), sides and so forth; the approach can require an unconventional slant from the get-go. But for advice purposes for what most people here are wanting to do--yes, I think that approach works very well and I recommend it.

Thanks Kevin. I am limited on finding brisket, so you are right on target with what works best for the regular supermarket cut. I have a good source for butcher with great pork, ribs and the such, but they do not sell brisket!

Back