Brisket Prep Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe McManus

TVWBB All-Star
I'm picking a packer's cut up this afternoon on the way home from work. My orginal plan was to do an overnighter on Saturday night for a Sunday dinner. Weather's looking pretty wet and windy Saturday night/Sun. morning. Looking for plan B.

My question: is it necessary, or a least highly recommended to rub and rest the brisket in the fridge overnight? Am I going to sacrifice outcome by just rubbing it down and throwing it on the WSM tonight as it won't have the overnight pre-rub? If there's a definite benefit to having the rub on overnight, I could start the smoke tomorrow AM. Opinions?

I can not really tell the difference. I have four of them to cook in the next few days, I am going to trim them, hit them with rub and pepper and sit on counter while the WSM gets fired up. Then let them start the magic!

Well, just rub it with fresh ground black pepper and garlic salt and stick it in the freezer while the pit gets up to temp and then throw it on, you will be OK.........ed

Applying rub and letting the meat rest will most definately allow the rub to penetrate. The end result is that there is a more pronounced flavor from the spices.

I've never been able to tell a difference between rubbing either brisket or butts the night before. The rub will not penatrate more than 1/8 to a 1/4 inch into the meat anyway. Now I just rub while I wait for the smoker to heat up.

Joe,
Who are you cookin for? If I have the time, I would put on a rub, wrap with saran and put it in the fridge. If I don't have time, I would not hesitate to apply a rub or even just salt and pepper and put it in the Bullet.

It will be good either way. Maybe just more good if you "rest it in the fridge." If your company are relative neophytes to cue, it won't matter either way.

Just sit back and take their comps.

Mike

Here's a bittersweet story.

I was so motivated to try my first brisket. Went to pick it up on Friday evening, and the butcher told me they didn't get any. Their normal beef supplier couldn't make a delivery Friday, and they don't like purchasing beef from the other guys. No brisket. Looked over the meat case selections and saw some spares, already trimmed to St. Louis style (with the pieces in the package). Picked them up.

Didn't get brisket, but made some awsome spares (hadn't tried those yet). Even snacked on the tips midway through. Was cold, windy and rainy here Saturday night anyway, so in the end it was probably better that I didn't try brisket. Next weekend.

Went to do chicken on sunday on my 10+ year ole kettle, and the lid handle popped right off. That's bad. The hole that was left was great for a thermometer (that was good). I knew I would be getting a new kettle this summer. Guess I'll just have to move that up the priory list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back