Brisket on my WSM

Frank H

TVWBB Gold Member
I've had my WSM since June and so far I've cooked multiple chicken , pulled pork ,pork chops, ribs , CSR's turkey and a bunch of side stuff. It all came out very good and I'm comfortable with it.
Now I'm trying to work up the courage to go to RD and buy a honkin' big packer brisket and try my hand at that. I know I'm probably better off to start smaller , but the price of brisket is so much lower at RD and the big hunks seem to be what you get there.
So....if I get one that's too big for the 18.5 , is separating the point from the flat a sensible option?
AND....if I wind up getting one or the other , which is better to smoke....point or flat?
I appreciate any and all thoughts and opinions , I know there's a lot of brisket knowledge 'round here.
Thanks in advance.:wsm:

Last edited:
Hi Frank,
I'm new to the forum but gaining a bit of knowledge last month in my pitmaster class. I wouldn't seperate the point from the flat, instead, take a chunk of hickory block and place it underneath your brisket so that the packer curves over the top of it. You'll be able to smoke a brisket well over 18.5" this way. Point and flat are great pieces to smoke, but the point is the fattier piece that will end up as those famous burnt ends you get at BBQ restaurants! Just my 2 cents.

I have the 22" WSM so mine lay flat but I have read and seen people kinda shoe horn the packer between the handles on the 18. It will shrink quite a bit during the cook so you should be fine. As Jack mentioned the point has a lot more internal fat in it and therefore is quite a bit juicier so if I had the choice between point and flat I would choose the point. Another thought is if the packer is just way to long you can do as Jack mentioned or I would trim the end of the flat because that end is usually quite a bit thinner and will cook faster and dry out typically during the cook. Then you could throw on the trimmed piece later in the cook. Good luck however you do it.

You should be able to get a 15lb packer on the 18. It will be tight but it will fit, just did it. Some people also drape the brisket over a rib rack.

If just too long to fit, trim off the thin end of the flat as mentioned. If you don't want to pitch that piece of meat, cook it by itself. Cook's treat.

Can't help you on the brisket problem to much of a newbie but I'm from Mass also and have a question. What does RD stand for?? Sounds like you get your meat there and if its in my area wouldn't mind checking it out. Thanks

Can't help you on the brisket problem to much of a newbie but I'm from Mass also and have a question. What does RD stand for?? Sounds like you get your meat there and if its in my area wouldn't mind checking it out. Thanks

Brian - RD stands for Restaurant Depot. I'm pretty sure of it, unless someone corrects me otherwise. :)

Brian - RD stands for Restaurant Depot. I'm pretty sure of it, unless someone corrects me otherwise. :)

Correct. If you are a KCBS member you can shop at RD. Otherwise, I think you have to have a business license. Not sure cause my membership gets me in.

BUT, use only cash. RD has been hacked on the credit card info. Can read about this on BBQ Brethern. Many have had lots of charges made on their card.

Last edited:
You have all of the best advice for your post but the absolute simplist solution for your first brisket is don't buy one over 12lb. Remember bigger is also older. Better to age your beef after death than before. You can always take on the bigger ones later.

Last edited:

Back