Brisket on a kettle -- use a foil pan ?

John Bridgman

TVWBB Super Fan
I'm 8+ hours into a 9 pound brisket cook on my Performer, doing Minion top-down burns and alternating between baskets. Other than giving up on the first basket too soon (it was 3:30 AM and I forgot to knock off the ash buildup) the cook has gone well so far -- just finished reloading the first basket with Kingsford and dropping some hot coals on top.

So, here's the question. I read a number of recommendations that the brisket be placed in a foil pan if cooking on a regular bbq (rather than a WSM) to prevent drying out. The possibility of not having to mop every hour seemed particularly attractive at bed-time, so I put the brisket in the pan fat side up and went to sleep for a while. When I woke up there was an inch or so of liquid in the pan, which appears to be mostly rendered fat.

Now that the sun is up I don't mind mopping frequently, but since I'm running two baskets I don't have room for firebricks so there is going to be a bit of direct heat kissing the sides of the brisket and drying out or overcooking on the edges does seem a risk. On the other hand brisket swimming in an inch of fat doesn't seem right either.

So far I have compromised by scooping most of the accumulated fat out into another can, so the fat is only touching the brisket in a few places, but I still have doubts about using the pan. One reason, I guess, was that the brisket was larger than the biggest pan I had, so the edges of the brisket hung out over the edge of the pan anyways. After 8+ hours and a bit of shrinkage the brisket fits fine now
icon_rolleyes.gif

Any suggestions ? This is a 22-1/2" kettle in standard "indirect" configuration, except that most of the time only one basket is burning to keep the temps down around 250F.

Thanks !

John - The large amount of rendered fat is expected and is part of the high temp brisket method. I'd leave it in the fat until removal from the grill. It provides a factor of safety against dry meat.

When removed from the grill, wrap the brisket in foil with a few tablespoons of the fat and rest it for an hour or so. I'd also remove the point, cube it, and return it to the grill in the pan (with all the fat) for burnt ends.

Jim

Thanks, Jim.

I'm obviously going to have to review my relationship with fat
icon_biggrin.gif

Those burnt ends sure do look tasty though.

I don't think it is necessary to mop once every hour to prevent drying out a brisket. What I would suggest is that you just skip the mop until it hits 160 internal temp, then put the brisket in a foil pan and seal tightly with foil or just wrap in foil.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Bridgman:
Thanks, Jim.

I'm obviously going to have to review my relationship with fat
icon_biggrin.gif

Those burnt ends sure do look tasty though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
John,

I like to think that the fat doesn't absorb into the meat. I have no basis for that, but I like to think it is true.

Jim

I'll just keep telling myself that
icon_rolleyes.gif

Internal temps are past the plateau now, around 180 and going up smoothly. Probably have to pull it off fairly soon. I'm now thinking of separating flat from point, wrapping the flat in foil and storing it in a preheated cooler, cubing the point, and putting it in the oven for a few hours until I get back home.

Pulled the brisket off around 185F internal in the flat (~13 hours), foiled it and tossed it in a preheated cooler for the drive to a birthday party. Also brought a batch of Keri's hog-apple beans, light on the hog.

Left the point on the kettle for another hour or so then cubed it, sauced it, ran out of time and tossed it in the fridge for later. Temps were just starting to drop through 200F after 14 hours, still running on the third basket of briquettes.

Sliced the flat at the party and put it out beside my brother-in-law's excellent deep-fried turkey; people were going around for 3rd and 4th helpings of both.

All in all doing a brisket on a kettle was definitely less painful than I expected, and alternating Minion burns between baskets seems like a useful technique at least for us newbies. Thanks for all the great advice and help !!

Back