Brisket Flat

Jerry N.

TVWBB Emerald Member
I have tried brisket a couple times and while edible, I've had better. I want to try again, but in the interest of not wasting as much meat and to spend a little less money, I'd like to try a flat. I was thinking a good rub, foiling toward the final 1/3rd of the cook and a good rest would be keys to success. I'd appreciate any input there might be on successful a successful brisket flat cook. Anyone have a tried and true process for cooking a flat?

Man, after I did my first point I swore I'd never go back to flats unless I got a rig that could do a whole packer. Ever cooked a point? They have a good bit more fat and a more forgiving if you ask me. I always do the crutch and I've yet to have a bad one, although some were better than others. I really never ever got a good flat to come out of my smoker. Sorry if this doesn't help you and you are only wanting flat help, but I just had to come in and say how much better mine came out when I switched over.

RC,'s right. The point is by far the best part of a brisket, and I think the Irish know best what to do with a flat. ;)
If I could buy points, I'd just smoke them instead of whole packers. If you're dead set on smoking a flat, I'd cook at HH and foil once the IT hits 160* or so. If I couldn't find whole packers to smoke, though, I'd just smoke chuck roasts.

Happy St. Patty's!
Dave

Jerry,

I don't know about your neck of the woods, but flats around here run $4.99/lb everywhere I've seen them. WalMart has full packers for $2.89/lb. And, as was mentioned above, the point is the best part. I started out doing what you're talking about and using a smaller (and presumably cheaper) cut of just the flat. Two attempts left me thinking I simply didn't like brisket. Then I did a full packer using the high heat method and got it right. For me, even if I mess it up, it's about the same amount of money to buy a full packer as an overly trimmed flat. So I'll go with the full packer, knowing I'll have a nice point for burnt ends, chili, etc.

I know this doesn't answer your question at all, but I've found it much easier to cook the full packer than just a point.

Jim

Jerry, hang in there. There are some guys who have posted pics and technique on doing flats. I've cooked whole packers but never just a flat for the the same reasons as everyone else above but it can be done. In actual fact the full packer is cooked by measuring the flat for temp if you are foiling and for probe tender so I don't honestly believe it's that difficult. Then you continue with the point.

I use flats for making Pastrami. Every flat I've tried to smoke comes out dry. Doing a whole packer is much better.

Last edited:
I just did a flat and point (seperated) and it turned out great. See the photos and description of the cook in my thread called Weekend Brisket.

I made the mistake of cooking a flat once and will never make it again.... Shoe leather.

Getting a flat w the point trimmed is usually double the cost here in nj

I've grown up eating and cooking texas brisket my whole life.

Just some quick pointers for you guys that say your brisket is getting dry....first of all are you picking out a good cut of meat? Get choice at least...forget select. I prefer packers always, but if you're going to get a flat, make sure you see a lot of marbeling going with the grain throughout the flat.

Once you're done cooking and internal is between 190-202...take it out , wrap it loosely in foil and stick it in a room temperature cooler or cambro to let it set. Take it out an hour or two later and cut a piece off, if the juice is still pouring out of it, put it back in the cooler for another hour. Then slice up some pieces about the width of a pencil, serve and enjoy...!!!

I've grown up eating and cooking texas brisket my whole life.

Just some quick pointers for you guys that say your brisket is getting dry....first of all are you picking out a good cut of meat? Get choice at least...forget select. I prefer packers always, but if you're going to get a flat, make sure you see a lot of marbeling going with the grain throughout the flat.

Once you're done cooking and internal is between 190-202...take it out , wrap it loosely in foil and stick it in a room temperature cooler or cambro to let it set. Take it out an hour or two later and cut a piece off, if the juice is still pouring out of it, put it back in the cooler for another hour. Then slice up some pieces about the width of a pencil, serve and enjoy...!!!

Max, since I wrap, my issue with flats isn't usually dryness, although I really appreciate you sharing your resting tip. I understand that it's practically a necessity for getting the very best out of a brisket. Anyhow, I haven't bought anything less than Choice in years, but what's weird is how that sometimes both the point and the flat have similar flavor. Often times though, the point flavor is much richer, with the flat being on the bland side. I know that injections are supposed to help, but I sure won't use the last one I tried. I assume the difference is in the level of marbling, but any tip for assessing the flat of a full packer still in a cryovac pac?

Regards,
Dave

Max, since I wrap, my issue with flats isn't usually dryness, although I really appreciate you sharing your resting tip. I understand that it's practically a necessity for getting the very best out of a brisket. Anyhow, I haven't bought anything less than Choice in years, but what's weird is how that sometimes both the point and the flat have similar flavor. Often times though, the point flavor is much richer, with the flat being on the bland side. I know that injections are supposed to help, but I sure won't use the last one I tried. I assume the difference is in the level of marbling, but any tip for assessing the flat of a full packer still in a cryovac pac?

Regards,
Dave

Yeah, I think you already know the answer to your question. Points do taste so good because of all the marbling...when looking at a packer, i want a good even fat cap across as much of the whole piece i can get. Also, look for marbling IN the flat, with the grain of the cut. The cap will be thicker here and there, so you can trim to as close to a 1/4 inch thickness across as you can get. Most of us down here always cook fat cap up(at least for the first 4-6 hours). it's supposed to let the fat render through the meat and get it flavorful and moist. i've never read any scholarly article to prove it, but it makes sense and it tastes good, so I will keep doing it.

I've heard myron cooks his fat cap down to protect the meat from the heat, but if you're using a WSM, you shouldn't have too much trouble with heat doing bad things to your brisket.

Yeah, I think you already know the answer to your question. Points do taste so good because of all the marbling...when looking at a packer, i want a good even fat cap across as much of the whole piece i can get. Also, look for marbling IN the flat, with the grain of the cut. The cap will be thicker here and there, so you can trim to as close to a 1/4 inch thickness across as you can get. Most of us down here always cook fat cap up(at least for the first 4-6 hours). it's supposed to let the fat render through the meat and get it flavorful and moist. i've never read any scholarly article to prove it, but it makes sense and it tastes good, so I will keep doing it.

I've heard myron cooks his fat cap down to protect the meat from the heat, but if you're using a WSM, you shouldn't have too much trouble with heat doing bad things to your brisket.

Thanks. I'll try to inspect them better next time. I've been buying packers at Restaurant Depot, so maybe I need to wear my hunting parka that has a hood into the cooler and not bother shopping for one if rushed like last time. lol...

I cooked fat up on my old cheap offsets, but I cook mostly fat down on the wsm or a uds since the heat comes from underneath. What do you cook them on? By the way, what do you wrap in? Have you tried butcher paper?

Thanks again,
Dave

Thanks. I'll try to inspect them better next time. I've been buying packers at Restaurant Depot, so maybe I need to wear my hunting parka that has a hood into the cooler and not bother shopping for one if rushed like last time. lol...

I cooked fat up on my old cheap offsets, but I cook mostly fat down on the wsm or a uds since the heat comes from underneath. What do you cook them on? By the way, what do you wrap in? Have you tried butcher paper?

Thanks again,
Dave

Yeah, I always figured if you're going to spend 8-12 hours smoking a brisket, might as well take a good couple of minutes to thoroughly inspect one before shelling out the dough for it.

I cook on a 22 WSM and use the classic texas crutch, aluminum foil.

I have heard great things about butcher paper from some friends, but I have never tried it. if you do, let me know!

Max, here's a link to the thread I posted of the only BP wrapped one I've done so far, from just a couple of weeks ago. This was one of those briskets I was speaking of where the flat tasted to me sort of ho-hum, but nobody complained, and you can count me in as a butcher paper convert. I just wish the point would've been twice it's size. It got gone in a hurry!
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?39434-Evolving-brisket-smoke

Back