Brisket finishing sauce

I know its here somewhere, I just can't find the darn thing. I saw a recipe for a brisket sauce that was brushed on right after slicing. Brisket juice, mustard, honey...anyone have the original anywhere?

Here's one I used the other day that was very good. It's from Sauces Rubs and Marinades by Raichlen, it's "Fat Boys Finishing Sauce." It has won the Fat Boys first in many competitions.
1/4 cup bean juice
1/4 cup ketchup
1 tbs lemon juice
I mixed a little chipotle powder in for just a little kick.

Bean juice, go figure . . .

Larry, just curious, when you say bean juice, do you mean like baked beans? I'm picturing someone opening a big can of Bush's Baked Beans, cause any other type of bean juice just seems way too odd.

Sorry, should have specified; juice from a pot of beans you've prepared from scratch. It's surprisingly good, I never would have guessed it.

I think Bryan's is the one I saw, but I can't find it again. It was in the body of one of his posts. Any idea on how to search for it if it is just in the text of post?

If I may be so bold to speak for Bryan, for brisket he uses (so I've read) equal parts Butter, beef stock, and the BBQ sauce you'll be serving with the meat.

Thanks Larry, I think you may be right, I remember the butter part for sure. Thanks! If I make it and it sucks...I'm coming after you!

Actually, how can butter, beef, abd bbq sauce be a bad thing...may have a new aftershave to market!

Sorry, somehow missed this thread lastnight.
Larry has it right a 1-1-1 of beef stock or de-fated brisket drippings (preferred), butter and BBQ sauce, I use 1/4 cup for the measure. This works very well for a finishing sauce. I also add about 1/2 tsp of Cholula hot sauce (great stuff) or Tabasco will work as well. Just paint the up side of the sliced brisket. This adds some flavor and keeps the up side from drying out on the plate. I never slice up the whole brisket, I only slice as needed so it doesn't dry out. Whatever is left gets wrapped in foil and into the fridge once cooled down too room temp. Then once cold I'll slice and paint the slices both sides and then vac seal fridge and/or freeze. I'll reheat in hot water for 20-30. HTH

Thanks a ton Bryan, I'm doing a party tomorrow and need to keep the briskets delicious at least until eveyone is served. I may slice as they walk by actually, but either way, I'll slather them up a little with your sauce. Stay tuned for rave reviews!

Bryan, that sounds really good. Have you tried that on ribs? The butter part is really sounding good.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Bryan, that sounds really good. Have you tried that on ribs? The butter part is really sounding good </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No but it should work well. Just change over to the pork version which wyou just sub chicken stock for the beef stock. Everything else stays the same. I use Knorr boulion cubes. I use one full cube in a cup of water (double strength) measure out the desired amount and drink the rest.

I will second that this is an amazingly good, simple sauce, that also helps retain moisture, since it seems to help prevent excessive evaporation.

I've done the pulled pork version of this with chicken stock vs. beef stock and it's very good. However, don't over look the bean juice sauce, do it one day when it's just you, I was very pleasantly surprised with how good it was . . . maybe I was expecting it to be off due to the bean juice, bean juice, that's funny!

Just remember this is a finishing sauce. I know you'll make it and then taste it and say it really doesn't taste like much, that's by design. It finishes the meat and adds moisture and flavor without covering up the flavor of the meat. It's not a stand alone sauce like a BBQ sauce or a glaze.

Excellent point Bryan, don't compare it to say a #5 because it's a totally different animal. Also, don't use too much, I've found a little goes a long way.

I'm the one that uses mustard (Dijon, never yellow) with the saved defatted juices and a little unsalted butter. (Here.) I adjust the seasoning of the juices, add a little mustard and a touch of unsalted butter then blend well to combine. No sweeteners. The mustard emulsifies the sauce yet it remains very thin. I paint it on the sides of the slices as I slice, with a pastry brush.

Thanks Kevin,I knew saw a mustard on somewhere. I'll definitely give it a shot in the near future. I'm going to visit my brother this weekend, may have to do some 'que for him and my dad. They wouldn't know cook bbq if it slapped them in the face. I sent them some pics of my butts when they came off on Saturday, all beautifully barky and delicious. My brother's comment was "Jeez, you burned the hell out of it!" Have to show them what the deal is with some real 'que.

The timeliness of this is great. I picked up a brisket yesterday.
icon_biggrin.gif

This looks like a good idea. I don't know if it was due to the cold weather, but I watched my brisket turn the look of shoe leather in about 5 minutes last weekend. It tasted good, but it sure looked drier than ever. I definitely need to try adding some butter.

Back