Brisket: fat up or down

Steven A

TVWBB Super Fan
Hey everyone, been a long time, but I've got a question. I'm making another attempt at a brisket (mine are always hit or miss), and I was wondering what the consensus is on whether the fat should be up or down in the smoker. Thanks!

It doesn't seem to make much difference to me, both methods work fine.
I like to slice with the fat side down, if I cook with the fat side down the brisket is prettier on the cutting board.

I generally start with the fat down and then after I wrapped with butcher paper I put back on fat up. I want the meat side to get the smoke in the beginning and I feel like it gets more smoke on top. I have absolutely nothing to base this on.

For me it is fat side down but I don't think it makes much difference, especially depending on how much of the fat cap is trimmed. I guess it really comes down to "whatever works for you is the way to go".

What influences having a successful brisket cook.

Fat side up or down 5%
Seasoning 10%
Quality of meat 20%
Type of heat (gas or charcoal) 5%
Time and temperature of cook 60%

Now, I am just estimating the relative importance in getting a successful brisket cook. Feel free to edit the numbers. But when you have a miss on your brisket cook, first review the time and temperature. After that adjust the other variables to improve the outcome.

What influences having a successful brisket cook.

Fat side up or down 5%
Seasoning 10%
Quality of meat 20%
Type of heat (gas or charcoal) 5%
Time and temperature of cook 60%

I'm gonna say "Yup" to the first two, but I think the main factor is the quality of the meat and how it's trimmed -- maybe 40%. Maybe more as it applies to brisket. Since what we do is called "smoking," I also think that the kind of fire makes a big difference, including the heat source and the type of smoke wood. Management of the cooking process is a big factor, which includes time and temp, but would include all the other things you do in the course of a cook. Just my two cents.

Oh, and I don't think fat up of down makes a lot of difference in a WSM.

This question has been asked since the beginning of BBQ. No right or wrong answer just preference. I do mine fat down though.

Wow, I guess I'm the only one that did it fat side up, although apparently it doesn't matter.

I've only cooked a few briskets in my life and I just discovered this forum a few months ago so I think it's time to cook one fat side down.

I cook mine fat side down. I feel it just adds a little more of an insulator from the heat. It's pretty much how I learned when starting out and I've just stuck with it.

Another reason to cook fat down is less sticking to the cooking grate, at least for briskets. The fat on my butts seems to render away and they still stick a bit, but my briskets never do.

Ok, looks like I'm going fat down. I'm doing a brisket and 2 butts overnight, which is more than I've ever done at once.:wsm:

The correct answer to this question (IMO) will depend on what you are cooking on. Where is the head source? If it is coming from the bottom then fat side down, if you are using an offset then maybe fat side up. It depends on the draft of the heat. I use the fat cap to protect the brisket so if cooking on my Cajun bandit conversion smoker or my Big Drum Smoker where the heat is coming from under the brisket then the fat cap is down. if I am cooking on my Lang 60 (offset) the fat cap is up as the heat rolls over the top of the brisket.

Back