Brisket failure.

Wolgast

TVWBB Olympian
Ok so i did a brisket today,when i trimmed of some fat it looked like a nice piece.

I have never before handeled any brisket or tasted one for that matter.
Just seen it on the internet and ofc bbq pitmasters
icon_wink.gif

When i first saw that cut in its box before the judges started tasting them i thougt "WoW brisket is my cup of tea"

Went to the food store and they dident even have that cut in there,so i had to go to a butcher to get it.

I was reading all this High Heat brisket and thought lets give it a try.(glad i did)

Ok here is what i did: rubbed(dry dident care for the paste)
325-350 for about 2h (weight of the brisket was 4.4 lb)

Then i foiled for about the same time did go for fork tender.

Up to this point i was sure it was gonna be a feast,smelled good and looked really good.

After resting in foil and a towel 1.5hours i sliced it up,and that was not a pretty sight a BIG fat vein running thru the whole brisket(was expecting a myron mixon looking piece of meat but NO)

So i had to take the upper part and the lover part of the brisket couse im not a big fan of pure fat,then i choped it up to cubes and served with Doritos and salsa.

U think well doesent sound so bad,well i dident even care for the taste,to mutch "beef" taste.
Sure it was moist and all but flavor wise it wasent anything i fancy.

I guess im a "pork" kind of guy,will give this another try later on.

Here are some pics:

Looked good to me at this stage

Rubbed

Up to temp,time for foiling

Fork tender,dident check temp at this stage

Ok this was the moment my dream was shattered

We still had to eat and make the best of it

Looks more like burnt ends then the brisket i was hoping for

The doritos and the salsa plate was empty at the end of the dinner,but still had alot of "brisket"(BIG FAIL)

A well cant turn out good all the time.

Bless//Me

Wolgast,good looking hunk of meat. Don't give up! Brisket is one of the hardest cuts to cook. I've not cooked many briskets(maybe 8). The first 2 were fantastic,the next one was overcooked and dry,the next two were tough. The last 2 or 3 were pretty dang good! Just keep on trying. That brisket you had looked pretty good. I don't trim mine that much. If you trim that much,try putting bacon on top to help put some moisture back in. Remember,fat is bad for you but keeps meat moist and tasty!

It looks like you had some good beer and wine to go with it, and I am sure your next one will be better.

Ray

If it was moist and tender I'm not sure doing another is going to make a difference if you didn't care for the flavor.

Note though that a 4.4-lb brisket isn't - it's a piece of a brisket, maybe about one-third (or less) of a typically sized brisket. Judging by the appearance, it seems to me that you purchased (maybe) a portion of the flat with a portion of the point. Hard to say.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Judging by the appearance, it seems to me that you purchased (maybe) a portion of the flat with a portion of the point. Hard to say. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that was my exact thought when i saw pick number 5. the fat seam in the middle makes it appear that way.

Thx all. guess this was an "odd" cut

Bill that thread was a good reading.

A well try to get a "full packer" next time.

Bless

I have had great luck doing it with 2 or 3 butts over brisket . Iam not much of COOK BUT MY BRISKETS HAVE CAME OUT PERFECT ! Not bragging here because I think for me its been dumb luck ! But I would never give up there to good when there right .

I think I get the mosture from the butts basttting the brisket , and I don't foil go figure .I always do the biggest packer I can find been 12 to 16 lbers here .

Perhaps you're being too critical of your efforts. Afterall, you can ALWAYS convert that brisket to chili meat...
icon_biggrin.gif

Wolgast, if i were u i would find a new butcher, have never seen such a bad brisket, not even sure that is a brisket to be honest

I know. I'm on the Seneca rez in western NY with a crummy Net signal - so I only allowed the top pic to download halfway (it was VERY slow) - but I wondered the same thing. From what I could see it looked like either a small portion of the flat with a small portion of the point - or maybe not a brisket at all.

Okay. I just half-downloaded the fifth pic. Can't see the bottom half of the pic but the top half either doesn't look like brisket or kinda sorta looks like flat but with the deckle still attached. Hard to say. Packers here come with the deckle removed - and I have not seen a packer with the deckle on in years so don't really remember.

LOL, being an Aussie, I know exactly what cut you got... not the proper brisket that everyone here is using but a cut from the navel/plate. It is a s**t cut of meat with a leathery piece covering it (as seen in the first image), and alternating layers of nasty fat and tough meat that really does not break down nicely like it does on the rest of the beast.

Take some diagrams of brisket to your butcher and get the proper cut next time, I guarantee it makes all the difference!

That makes sense, cause it reminds me of belly. I am no expert, but that is what came to mind when I saw those pics.

Wolgast. I think you did about the best you could with it. Doritos!

You know what's funny. When I look at the pics.... You cooked whatever that was TO PERFECTION. You will absolutely nail a brisket cook.

Daniel, in my mind, you could cook shoe leather (or worse) and it would be awesome!
Your photos make whatever slice of meat that is look "Jim Lampe Edible" .... and lemme tell ya, I only eet good ****!
icon_biggrin.gif

Well im almost glad this was an odd cut couse now i still have the brisket left to try.

Thx all

Back