Brisket Cook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt J

TVWBB Fan
Ok.....got the chimmney of bricks going...got everything prepped.....

Looking at about a 9 hr cook for the dang brisket FLAT my wife brought home. Going to do it to about 165deg and then foil it and put her back on the smoker and let it finish in the foil till it reaches about 190. At that point gonna add more foil and put in cooler for about 3-4 hours. Planning on putting the meat on around 1am. Should be done by at least 11am and gonna eat around 2pm. Using Texas BBQ #2. Here are some pics of me firing her up. WIll provide more as I go along tonight and updates as I go. Time for another beer and to check the temp. Waiting to get the WSM up to about 260ish before I put the meat on. That way when it drops from the cold meat it should still be in the 225deg and up range. Oh forgot I'm using some white oak...4 slightly bigger than a fist sized chuncks that I got from one of the trees that fell behind my house a month ago during hurricane Frances. I put it out in the sun on my pool lanai and it dryed out pretty within a month or so...gonna use some of it for the first time tonight. Thanks.

Having a few dumb probs.

Mostly self imposed.....got lazy. One of my probs is acting up and WAS giving funny temps. I didn't get the temp AS high as I wanted before I put the meat on...so it dropped pretty low and took awhile to get back up. I normally put hot water, not boiling but hot from the tap....this time I prepped WAY ahead of time and the water cooled off. Last...I wanted to try getting a thicker smoke ring so I left the meat in fridge till I put it on and it dropped the temp too much. I'm at the 2hour plus point and doing ok now. WSM temp is 248 at the lid and the brisket is at 139. Gonna foil it at 165 since it's a flat so it doesn't dry out. Posted more pics.

74ba.jpg

Looks like you got it going on down there. Your must have a nicer wife than I do though, cause if I cooked in our sun room, I would probably be dead. lol
DP

Matt,
You have quite the set up to smoke in down in Florida. Guess you never have to worry about rain. The smoke doesn't discolor the ceiling in the sun room? I am with Matt, if I were to cook in our sun room my wife would kill me too. Wait a minute....................................THAT'S RIGHT, WE DON'T HAVE A SUN ROOM!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Nah.......its my lanai......I let her use it LOL. I do all the cooking around here so and she loves the final product so it's cool. Plus what you guys didn't see was that in the other direction it opens directly up into the pool area. So it's really more like a covered patio. Except that I am having outdoor carpet put down soon. Going to put blocks down with a liner below them to kee crap from the gasser and WSM from getting on it.

As for the Brisket..it came up to temp (170) around 8am. The wife woke me up. Temps at the lid were down to 235. Stoked the coals a bit and it came back up to temp. Foiled the meat and put it back on until it came up to 195 at around 1030. Took it off and put more foil around it and put it in the cooler. It's about three hours later and the meat is still a whopping 168deg. Going to hold it a bit longer...friends aren't coming for an hour. Not gonna let it get below 150deg for safety sake. I'll get some pics when I take it out of the foil and post them in a bit. Thx

Brisket came out good....a bit drier that I wanted but still tender and very flavorful. Here's what it looked like when I started slicing it with my electric knife.

b3d4.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back