Briscket ?

RandyP

TVWBB Member
I know you are not supposed to cook a brisket by temperature per say but at what temp is a good temp to start checking for tenderness and pull it off and foil?

Thanks in Advance

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Randy Pope:
I know you are not supposed to cook a brisket by temperature per say but at what temp is a good temp to start checking for tenderness and pull it off and foil?

Thanks in Advance </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Foil in the 160-165 degree range, and start checking for doneness in the 185-190 range

do you leave it on the smoker after foiling at 160-165? or do youi pull it and place it in an ice chest until it reaches 185-190?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Randy Pope:
do you leave it on the smoker after foiling at 160-165? or do youi pull it and place it in an ice chest until it reaches 185-190? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Leave it in the smoker. It has to cook it's way up to tender. Foil so you can open it at the top when you check it for tender.

Thanks in Advance </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Depends if you are cooking low and slow or doing a high heat a brisket? Also wether you are cooking a whole brisket/packer, or cooking a flat, then are you cooking a whole flat or a over trimmed piece of a flat, that has little to no fat cap left on it? So many variables that need to be know before saying to foil at X temp, then start checking for tender after X time.
icon_wink.gif

Sorry Bryan,
I will be doing a low and slow cook using the MM for fuel. I will be doing a whole packer 10-12lbs.

The last time I did a whole packer it was a 13lber and it went for about 14 hours at 225 and then I puled it off and foiled it and let it rest for about three hours in a dry ice chest. it came out really good.

I'm just wondering if it would have been better to foil at 160 or 170 and contiued cokking to around 190 or tender?

Also if it comes off at 190 and it is wrapped in foil and placed in an ice chest for a few hours will it not continue to cook? Will it over cook?

Thanks

Sorry Bryan,
I will be doing a low and slow cook using the MM for fuel. I will be doing a whole packer 10-12lbs.

The last time I did a whole packer it was a 13lber and it went for about 14 hours at 225 and then I puled it off and foiled it and let it rest for about three hours in a dry ice chest. it came out really good.

I'm just wondering if it would have been better to foil at 160 or 170 and contiued cokking to around 190 or tender?

Also if it comes off at 190 and it is wrapped in foil and placed in an ice chest for a few hours will it not continue to cook? Will it over cook?

Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Do you seperate the point from the flat when foiling, or do you just foil the whole packer? Most seperate and continue to cook the point longer as the flat always gets done long before the point does. The point needs much time to render down futher than the flat does. Some just sperate the point and flat when the flat gets done/tender and cool then freeze the point for later use/rendering. I like to foil as I find I get consistant results. For a packer, I foil about 165º, flats just depends how much they were trimmed. Yes they do continue to cook once removed. It's best to remove just shy of tender, as the carry over heat will continue to cook while it's holding in the cooler. If you are pulling the meat off and not holding in a cooler, i.e. just resting on the counter for 30 min or so before serving, cook till tender. HTH

Back