Brining in a cooler

Jason H.

TVWBB Member
All,

I am going to be preparing more boston butt than I can put in my fridge for the brine. I am thinking get a couple of the styrofoam disposable coolers, put in the butts and brine and then top them off with ice however I have never done this.

Anyone have suggestions or comments? If I can still see ice in the mix is the temp ok or should I periodically check temperature? What temp is ok?

Thanks!

If you have a decent cooler a few bags of ice will do the jobb. You will se how mutch ice is left after a few hours(6) and se if it will last another 6-12h. Never brined a butt. And where are you going with this? Is it a flavour brine that takes a few days? Or a quick one? I would consider injecting!?

Jason, would the butt and brine be floating in the cooler itself or would they be in a bag or other container?

If it's the latter you're essentially trying to turn the cooler into a small refrigerator, so I would put the container on a rack so that it doesn't contact the bags of ice or the cooler itself. The air temperature inside the cooler should be under 40F.

Well, several people have asked me about why I am brining it in the first place. I believe I am just going to maybe inject some applejuice or something like that into the butts and skip the brining in this application as I am doing so many at once.

If you don't want to dilute the brine with melting ice, you could fill some 2 liter soda bottles with water and freeze them, then add them to the brine as needed to keep the brine at the acceptable temp...not sure what that is but I'd guess around 40 degrees, As Brad said.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jason H.:
Any good suggestions for an injection? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/pork4.html

I love this. A bit salty for my taste, so I cut it by about 25% though.

You know you're a redneck if you brine a turkey in your hunting cooler/stool.
Actually works great

0ae63b53.jpg

Butts? Why brine? Why inject?
Way more work & aggravation then I've ever seen returned. jmo

Back