Brine Question

J Solenberg

TVWBB Member
I've read a lot about brining large cuts of meat and I've brined many turkeys myself, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone talking about brining ribs. Is there a reason this shouldn't be done? It seems like it couldn't help but make them more juicy and flavorful. Any thoughts?

Have you smoked 'enhanced' ribs. It is very easy to get a hammy tasting result with them. I believe that's why most folks avoid a brine with ribs. I'm not a rib expert...haven't cooked enough of em but if you are after juicy i.e. moist, then use foil for 45 minutes or so with a little liquid.
Ribs have a lot of surface area so flavor should not be an issue-they get plenty of rub and smoke.

Much of the commercially-raised pork available at retail is already brined, i.e., 'enhanced' or 'always tender' (or whatever marketing terms the packer wants to use), meaning the meat has been injected with a brine solution, often containing phosphates, during processing. In some parts of the country and at many retailers it can be hard to find pork that is not 'enhanced'.

Sure you can brine ribs (if they weren't shot up already -- read the package). I'd venture that most of us here (definitely including me) find it wholly unnecessary. Ribs -- even commercial back ribs -- contain enough fat and connective tissue to make them plenty juicy if properly cooked. As for flavorful, that's where a good rub comes in.

The reason you brine a turkey is that the breast meat is pretty bland and dries out easily, so you're trying to add flavor and add/retain moisture.

In my experience, ribs are plenty flavorful and moist without brining.

Regards,
Chris

Originally posted by K Kruger:
...As for flavorful, that's where a good rub comes in.

That's one area that's actually kind of frustrating. I'm very open to suggestions. I've tried dozens of different rubs and I have yet to find one I really like. I've read books, done searches and the problem is it's like drinking from a firehose. I can find thousands of recipes for "the best rub ever!" But I'd just like to find something simple and start with that. I'll be cooking ribs again Monday. I think I may just do simple salt and pepper rub and see how that goes.

If you are into making your own rub, there are numerous posts on the subject. Also, check out Chris' cooking section for rib rubs. They all can be modified to suit your own taste.

I think I may just do simple salt and pepper rub and see how that goes.
Try that and build from there if you wish. S & P only has never worked for me but I'm a flavor fan.

Have the rubs you've tried/made been paprika-based? That's a problem to me -- there are better chilies to use other than papriika.

Are they all heavy on the sugar? Another problem for me as lots of sugar deadens flavor (some is fine).

Do they lack an herb component? Not that rubs must contain herbs (some I make don't) but some herb can go a long way to making a better flavor profile.

Kevin, yes, most have contained paprika and all have contained some type of sugar - usually brown. I think that may be a big part of what is throwing me off. The brown sugar seems like such a great idea, but I'm just not happy with the result.

Many years before I ever thought I'd be barbecuing, I went to a local competition and one of the competitors gave me a small sample of his ribs with no sauce. The taste was absolutely outstanding. The problem is, that's all I remember. I didn't think I'd ever be doing this myself. And of course, if I can't remember exactly what it tasted like, there's no way I can come close to duplicating it. Oh well, I'll try your tips and maybe try the BRITU rub too. Good places to start. Thanks for all the help and support.

You don't need to duplicate it. You just need to find something that works for you.

I am not a BRITU fan but give it a shot and see what you think.

Here is one you might try. (The recipe calls for some paprika. Actually I used aji amarillo but, being new to the board when I posted the recipe, and not seeing much at the time, here, that included much in the way of non-standard chilies, I switched it to paprika for posting.)

Here is another I wrote for a member. Were I making it for myself I would cut the sugar to 1/4 c and likely use white or a 50-50 blend of white and light brown.

I almost never use sugar in beef rubs unless it is needed to balance acidic an d sharp ingredients (like this one for brisket, inwhich I used dark brown sugat to soften the coffee and cocoa), never for most poultry, but I do like it in most rubs for Q'd pork. Again, to me, excessive sugar deadens flavors by dampening the higher flavor notes (think of the difference between lightly sweetened ice tea and heavily sweetened -- or too sweet lemonade -- the high notes are lost). However, if you make a rub that seems to work for you in most areas but isn't quite right, first try remaking it with less sugar and see how that goes.

Back