Breaded, Smoked Chicken Wings

Jason Howard

TVWBB Fan
I decided to try this recipe from the Dizzy Pig website this evening, and they were delicious.

http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesWings.html

I'll admit, I was skeptical as to how the coating would set, but it worked very well. I don't have any prep pictures, but I followed their recipe exactly, even chilling in the fridge for an hour or so before to let it set up. I used Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom in the batter, spicy stuff!!

I ran the WSM with a small fire, no water pan, all vents wide open, one big chunk of pecan wood. I cooked them for an hour, flipping halfway.

Here they are about to come off.
IMG_3986.jpg

On the plate.
IMG_3987.jpg

IMG_3988.jpg

I saw this sauce at HEB and couldn't pass it up, it was very spicy, but awesome!
IMG_3991.jpg

That looks very good and I have never thought about breading and grilling/smoking. Looks like something I might have to try. Thanks Vince

This has got me thinking.

Turns out I'm not going to have time to do ribs tomorrow, but I could probably squeeze in some wings.

My wife went to the market today so I asked her to pick up some wings. Would you believe she came back with wings? That usually doesn't happen. I'm good to go tomorrow. Going to try DP's suggestion, indirect at 275-300 on the kettle with maybe a crisp up direct. I'll post a few pics,( if they are worthy)
icon_smile.gif
but I'm sure mine will not look as good as yours. Very nice. I'm looking forward to crispy wings.

I did the wings today, but didn't have the needed time to follow the recipe. I did the coating thing and put them in the fridge to set for 1 1\4 hours. I used half Tsunami Spin rub and half Jamaican Firewalk. Why? Who knows. Direct for about 10 minutes to get some color, then indirect. They were done in about 45-50 minutes at a temp higher than the DP recipe calls for, but they were very good, crispy and juicy. I tossed in a small piece of pecan I had for kicks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave/G:
I did the wings today, but didn't have the needed time to follow the recipe. I did the coating thing and put them in the fridge to set for 1 1\4 hours. I used half Tsunami Spin rub and half Jamaican Firewalk. Why? Who knows. Direct for about 10 minutes to get some color, then indirect. They were done in about 45-50 minutes at a temp higher than the DP recipe calls for, but they were very good, crispy and juicy. I tossed in a small piece of pecan I had for kicks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Sounds tasty, glad they worked! I cooked mine at a higher temp as well, probably close to 300.

Jason--We love smoked wings and yours look fantastic! Exactly how did you do your fire? Half a chimney lit? Full chimney lit?

Tom

I noticed the local Walmart has the Budweiser Wing Sauce.

Still wondering about the definition of "small" relating to the fire.

Where are ya, Jason??

Regarding the fire, I didn't measure with a chimney, but my unlit coals barely covered the bottom with a charcoal layer. I didn't use that many lit coals in the chimney, probably 20 or so.

Even without the water pan in there, it took a while to get up to 250, and I don't think it ever got past 300. At those temps, I did 30 minutes a side.

Back