Breaded, Smoked Chicken Wings

Jason I have been thinking about making these. I have a couple questions. On the DP site they cooked for 1.5-2.5 hours and you said you only did them for 1 hour. Why did your cook go so much faster? Also do you have any idea as to how hot your cooker was? Also would any basic rub work for these as a seasoning? I was thinking that pretty much any seasoning might work with the breading recipe on dp's site. My wife does not like overly spicy so I might try a lemmon pepper seasoning salt. What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance. Vince

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vince B:
Jason I have been thinking about making these. I have a couple questions. On the DP site they cooked for 1.5-2.5 hours and you said you only did them for 1 hour. Why did your cook go so much faster? Also do you have any idea as to how hot your cooker was? Also would any basic rub work for these as a seasoning? I was thinking that pretty much any seasoning might work with the breading recipe on dp's site. My wife does not like overly spicy so I might try a lemmon pepper seasoning salt. What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance. Vince </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I think mine cooked faster because my cooker was hotter, right at 300. Also, even though its well below, I would still consider my fire a direct fire. I probably could have done 1.5 hours and still been fine, but I pulled mine when I thought they were brown enough, and they were great.

Any basic rub should work, I used the DP stuff cause I have it, but I bet anything would be good on them. Lemon pepper salt would probably work well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Greg Muller:
Jason,Y
At what point did you sauce them and at full strenth or did you mix the sauce with anything.
Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I didn't dilute the sauce and sauced mine at the end, but only because my wife doesn't like buffalo style sauce. If I were making these for myself, I'd probably add some sauce to the egg wash, then again at the end.

The pictures I posted though show them completely sauce free.

The wings look great Jason!

I plan to try this recipe on wings first, and then on fish, perhaps Tilapia.
We love fried fish, but not un-breaded grilled or baked fish.

And maybe on pork chops too?

000_0114.jpg
000_0115.jpg

Jason, I just now got around to making the breaded wings, and wanted to give you 2 thumbs, Way up!
I cooked them on the Performer. Indirect, with one charcoal holder full of K briqs, and a couple of small chunks of fruit wood.
Total cook time of about 2 hrs.
I used my own rub in the dry mix, and added my wing sauce (1 part Franks Hot Sauce, 1 part Durkee's Famous Sauce, and 1 part melted butter) just before devouring.

I would love to try this with fish, but since fish cook so quickly, can't see a way to do it.

Thanks for posting the recipe!
Bob

Back