Boneless vs. Bone-In Butts

is there much of a difference? Costco in my location only sells boneless butts. It is difficult to find whole butts in Minnesota. Any suggestions?

It should be fine if that is what you can get...you will need to tie it up well and maybe again part way through the cook so no part flops out and overcooks. I always try to get bone in.

I get mine at Costco also. No bone alows you to get extra rub all over before you tie it up.

Tom

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by patrick sullivan:
is there much of a difference? Costco in my location only sells boneless butts. It is difficult to find whole butts in Minnesota. Any suggestions? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Move somewhere that sells bone in butts!!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Just kidding........I have a Costco that is very convenient to me......however, I have a membership at BJ's which is very inconvenient to me ONLY because Costco sells boneless butts. I HATE cooking them!

But, they'll work with a little extra effort if that's all you an find!

Yep. Always do Costco too. I tie up the and season inside too.

I would like to try bone in for something differnt. Wanna pull the bone out by hand once all the fibers are broken down, etc.

Hi Patrick,
I see you live in the Twin Cities area, if you want bone in, talk to the butcher at Cub Foods (or wherever you buy your groceries). They often have them in back and use them to cut up country style ribs or perhaps grind into pork sausage. I've found they are more than happy to order them in as well in the event they are out at the time. If you plan a few days ahead, there is usually no problem getting these types of butts.
Good luck!

Sam's Club sells them bone in and you can also get them from the butcher at Byerly's, if you want to spend a whole lotta dough, you know, since you live in Edina...
icon_cool.gif

Back