Boneless Pork Shoulder

I cook the boneless Costco two packs all the time. Sure you can tie them up.

But since they've already deboned it, I keep going with that. Butterfly/split and lay them out flat. One on each rack of the WSM 18.

More bark, cooks faster, simple.

I cook the boneless Costco two packs all the time. Sure you can tie them up.

But since they've already deboned it, I keep going with that. Butterfly/split and lay them out flat. One on each rack of the WSM 18.

More bark, cooks faster, simple.
I'm having trouble visualizing this. Maybe put up a photos of how you do that. BTW as anyone looking can see I was using the Temp Spike in it. I also used the Z Grills supplied temp probe as well as I had to leave the house and run errands. So, I wanted to be able to monitor it more remotely. Got home and reconnected the TempSpike. While home I walked across the street to mailbox. Well I went out of range and it et me know. Oh boy did it. It began an alarm on my phone so loud people down the street heard it! You could see them turning around looking for where the noise was from. Thing is when it does this nothing on your phone pops up to tell you it's a simply an out of range. Nope just this horrible loud shriek coming from it

Last edited:
Both of these de-bone first (which Costco has already done for you). Then you butterfly to flatten out.

Hmmm. I always thought it was better to keep it whole so cooking is slowed and everything can render properly. I still have one of the shoulders from Costco left it will be vacuum packed and frozen. But, perhaps I will keep this technique in my back pocket for it

I have never come across boneless pork shoulders, therefore I have never tried this method of splitting them up. On the surface it makes sense that there will be more bark & a shorter cooking time. The biggest concern would be over cooking them & drying them out. I rarely trim any fat off if any on a shoulder & I always use mustard as a binder which helps create a nice bark. I have no problem with waiting out the process, it’s done when it is done, it is not a race, enjoy!

Definitely worth a try. Who doesn't like more bark and a shorter cook time? I pick up smaller butts wrapped in netting once in awhile. I always remove the netting to give more surface area to season.

Yeah. Boneless is the only way Costco sells them. I don't think they bone them at the store though as they come in a commercial vacuum sealed heavy bag, not in store wrapping.
I too use the mustard binder, just plain S&P coarse BP, and coarse Kosher salt. Using IIRC 7 parts BP to 3 or 4 part salt. Though I think on my next batch I am going to up the BP ratio a touch. IDK how it happens but the the meat actually comes out with a "sweet and smokey" flavor. Everyone who tries it asks about the rub thinking I've put sugar in it. (hence my nickname of "pig candy") but I swear there is not one granule of sugar in it. BTW, pellets used were my good ol' Kirkland @ $12.99 per 40lbs. No special blend or pellet. They're Oak, Hickory Maple and Cherry. Pretty basic and generic flavor profile. I ran Big Z at Super Smoke for about 1 hour, then upped to 225 until the stall, then upped it to 285 for the duration. The Ambient on my Temp Spike was up near the top of the smoker and was showing 290-300 at that time. Ran the meat to 195 avg, and probed for tenderness and my probe literally "fell" through it. So gently took it off and wrapped in pick paper, then a layer of foil, then a large towel and then in cooler for MAYBE 2 hours. And it literally fell to pieces with my hands. It had cooled down to about 170 when I took it from the cooler BTW

I have been reading about Turbinado sugar instead of brown sugar in rubs. I think it has a higher melting point and won’t caramelize as easily as brown sugar. It has a very slow break down & is ideal for longer cooks.

I have been reading about Turbinado sugar instead of brown sugar in rubs. I think it has a higher melting point and won’t caramelize as easily as brown sugar. It has a very slow break down & is ideal for longer cooks.
Interesting, just Googled it. Sounds ideal for rubs, half the calories and carbs of regular sugar.

Who doesn't like more bark and a shorter cook time?

The boneless two packs are the only thing they sell at Costco. I used to tie them up, but became a convert to the butterfly. Mostly for the extra bark, but also for the shorter cook time.

My WSM has three racks. So I typically get two Costco two packs. Three get smoked on the WSM laid out flat. And the fourth is for slow cooker carnitas.

Who doesn't like more bark and a shorter cook time?

The boneless two packs are the only thing they sell at Costco. I used to tie them up, but became a convert to the butterfly. Mostly for the extra bark, but also for the shorter cook time.

My WSM has three racks. So I typically get two Costco two packs. Three get smoked on the WSM laid out flat. And the fourth is for slow cooker carnitas.
All sound VERY good. Just had some of the shoulder for lunch

I did a couple split in half like this last fall after stumbling on Chris’ instructions at the Virtual Bullet site. It was as good as any other pork butt I had done previously (granted, I’ve only had my smoker for about 3 years). Definitely will be going this route in the future.

Way late to this one, and see that you tied. I buy my pork shoulder at costco, and I just pull them out, rub with meatheads memphis dust (homemade from his recipe) and throw straight on the traeger, and they are always delicious. Got some costco ribs on at the moment, gotta go add some sauce and pull them off in an hour.

Way late to this one, and see that you tied. I buy my pork shoulder at costco, and I just pull them out, rub with meatheads memphis dust (homemade from his recipe) and throw straight on the traeger, and they are always delicious. Got some costco ribs on at the moment, gotta go add some sauce and pull them off in an hour.
I had to google this just now! Link below. Interesting in that it has no salt and he dry brines prior. Thank you!

Back