Blast from My Past: Couple Shoulders on the WSM plus Looftlighter Pics

Shawn W

TVWBB Emerald Member
Fired up the WSM last night for the first time since I bought my Keg a year ago! I even broke out the Guru Smoking Jacket, didn't bother with the ET-73. Set my vents, waited an hour to be sure it didnt go out then went to bed.

I used a full ring of the Maple Leaf briquettes and didn't have to touch them for the full 15 hours. I'll update on how much was left over after it cools off.

In the morning it was running around 270ºF so I closed down the vents a bit.

The meat is resting now.

Here's a couple pics of the Looftlighter in action on Maple Leaf briqs, ready to go in little more than a minute, no more waiting on chimneys for me!:

~15 Seconds
MLBriqsWSMLooftlighter001sm.jpg

~40 Seconds
MLBriqsWSMLooftlighter002sm.jpg

~70 Seconds
MLBriqsWSMLooftlighter007sm.jpg

10.5# Butt over top of a 10# Shoulder picnic
MLBriqsWSMLooftlighter009sm.jpg
\

The BBQ Guru Smoking Jacket
MLBriqsWSMLooftlighter011sm.jpg

Checked on things at 15 hours, done, picnic came apart a bit trying to get it off the grate!
MLBriqsWSMLooftlighter012sm.jpg

Was the WSM sitting in the corner giving you a guilt trip
icon_wink.gif

Fine looking butts Shawn!

Where did you buy your meat from?

Did it come to you in a vision as you slept? Looks delicious! Will you use it again or wait another year now hmmmmmmmmmmmmm?
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stefan B:
Was the WSM sitting in the corner giving you a guilt trip
icon_wink.gif

Fine looking butts Shawn!

Where did you buy your meat from? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, couple of things .. I'm splitting with my other half, I'm moving, have to downsize .. might not be able to keep my WSM. Wanted to use it one more time. Plus I did want to report on how the Maple Leaf briqs worked in the WSM.

Really pleased with them. 15 hours of good heat, didn't have to stir. And wow, they smell GREAT unlike other brands
icon_wink.gif
. I'll report back on how much if any is left over.

The meat came from my freezer. One came from Sobey's and the other from Superstore IIRC. They both carry shoulders and picnics in cryo from time to time. Didn't notice till last night the picnic was enhanced
icon_frown.gif
. Sobey's sells split picnics (think bandsaw down the middle vertically) on a regular basis. Can't beat 'em for the price around here IMO.

Shawn, you still liking your Looftlighter? I recently received one and will be using it for the first time this weekend.

Meat looks great Shawn. You know I have never bought anything from Sobey's since getting my WSM, but that my have to change
icon_wink.gif

Sorry to hear you may have to let the WSM go, maybe I can convince my other half that I need a second
icon_wink.gif

Shawn,

I had a similar moment this week. I cook a good amount of butts, but always at least 4 and most of the time much more. I had a catering tasting on Tuesday that I needed just 1 butt for. So I bought a 2 pack (why just cook 1) Monday afternoon and broke out my 18". I haven't used my 18 for butts in a long, long time.

From breaking out the smoker, salting the meat, firing the chimney, rubbing the meat and meat on, 30 minutes. It ran at 260° wonderfully for 13 hours with only 1 adjustment before bed and a nice 7 hours of sleep for me.

Oh, and I only had to use a 13# bag of KBB, 1/3 of which was left after I shut it down.

Back