Birthday Brisket - my 40th/first and a question

Brett Grant

TVWBB Fan
40th birthday that is/first Brisket.

I decided to do my first brisket. Found a butcher and got a 12.5 pound cryovac badboy for 2.49/lb. It had a USDA mark, but it wasn't graded, at least not that I could see.

Never seen one whole before. It was interesting trimming it, basically I just followed the advice on the web page.

Rubbed it with my favorite homemade rub and let it sit overnight. Last night, I fired the WSM with the Minion Method and let her go. Put it on the grill at 10:30. Was expecting 9.5 lbs * 1.5 hours to be about a 14 hour cook. Friends are coming over today at 3.

At 10:30, the WSM was at 215 at the lid. When I went to bed at 2:30 (that was a mistake, boy, I need a nap now that I am over the hill), it was still at 215. This morning at 5:30 (I don't really sleep very well) it was up to 250, so I tapped one vent and went back to bed. At 9 it was at 225, and has it had been on 10.5 hours, so I decided to check it.

It looked and smelled terrific.
brisket01_aug11.jpg

brisket02_aug11.jpg

A thicker part of the flat was at 190, and the thinner part was well over 205-210. Imagine my surprise that it was done. I was able to push a skewer through it quite easily, and the two forks that I used to move it, went in like hot knives through butter.

I foiled it up and put it in a smallish cooler. My only issue is that the friends aren't supposed to get here until 3, 6 hours from now.

It seems like too short of a time to slice it now and cool it off and then reheat, but too long of a time to keep it over 140 in the cooler. I don't have a remote thermometer, so every time I want to check it, I have to open it up which will make it cool off quicker.

What to do? Any opinions?

My one thought is to let it sit in the cooler for 4 hours, check it, and then if it is close to 140, <STRIKE>through</STRIKE> throw it in the oven at say 150-160.

Thanks for all of the advice so far which has been great to get here. Thanks for any future advice.

Brett

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My one thought is to let it sit in the cooler for 4 hours, check it, and then if it is close to 140, through it in the oven at say 150-160. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what I would do.

Don't be tempted (or nervous) to keep checking it. Endless checking will only cool it faster - and expose it to potential contamination. There is nothing in terms of pathogenic bacteria that will grow so fast that your planned dinner time is a problem.

The top of the Danger Zone is actually 130, not 140, so you have more leeway than you think. That said, a dip to 130 - or even lower - does not mean that the meat becomes dangerous to eat all of a sudden.

Happy Birthday. And your brisket looks great!

Happy birthday! Double wrap in foil, place a towel over it, close the lid, and enjoy your day. Brisket looks great. Wish I could cook one like that.

Well I left things alone and checked the brisket after four hours, where it was at 160. By the time my guests showed up, it was at 150.

I thought that it turned out well for a first try. I thinK than having it foiled for six hours didn't help, I felt that it was slightly overcooked, it really fell apart easily. In fact, I shredded about a third if it. It had a nice smoke ring and tasted better than what I have had in restaurants here.

I think that it would have been really good if we had eaten it when it finished, but 10 am is a little early for brisket
icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the advice,
Brett

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> 10 am is a little early for brisket
icon_smile.gif

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had a Brisket and cheddar omelet for breakfast with some of my high heat brisket I did yesterday. it was probably the best omelet I've ever eaten

Back