Binchotan Japanese Charcoal

I have one relatively close to me, problem is I can't find WG on the Ace site. :(
Chris, I don't see it either. They must have quit selling it. The last I got was in December. I can't find it around my area now either. Sorry about that.

I have one relatively close to me, problem is I can't find WG on the Ace site. :(

Actually, thanks Neil for the great tip! I have an Ace close to me as well, so I'll pop in there to see if it's an option. That having been said, I reeeeeally like Ozark Oak as well, it's been an outstanding product for me, as well as most others it seems. I have a 26.75" kettle with a Smoke-EZ (three of them, actually) that I use quite a bit, and the Wicked Good briquettes pack great for Minion-style perimeter burn. Ozark Oak even works great for this, I just have to break the larger pieces up a little so that everything will pack nicely for an even burn.

Wondering what happened to the rest of the story here. How well did the Binchotan work?

Thanks Chad for that source on where to get binchotan.
I knew they were very expensive but since they're available to me locally (I live just 4 miles from Little Tokyo) I should try some now.

I recently build a 36" yakitori grill and have been using briquettes or lump in it and they've been performing well. I'm going to have to try some binchotan on my next yakitori session...:)

P1070311_zpsf76fc10b.jpg

beef and salmon
P1070342_zps42223597.jpg

How about some bacon-riceball...:)
P1070334_zps92c5a884.jpg

Last edited:
Actually, thanks Neil for the great tip! I have an Ace close to me as well, so I'll pop in there to see if it's an option. That having been said, I reeeeeally like Ozark Oak as well, it's been an outstanding product for me, as well as most others it seems. I have a 26.75" kettle with a Smoke-EZ (three of them, actually) that I use quite a bit, and the Wicked Good briquettes pack great for Minion-style perimeter burn. Ozark Oak even works great for this, I just have to break the larger pieces up a little so that everything will pack nicely for an even burn.
Randy, from what I'm reading, Kamado Joe and Wicked Good are the same thing, come from the same supplier. ACE has Kamado on their website with free shipping to store. I haven't checked our three local stores yet to see if its in stock. They did discontinue the WG when all of it was bought up.

Randy, from what I'm reading, Kamado Joe and Wicked Good are the same thing, come from the same supplier. ACE has Kamado on their website with free shipping to store. I haven't checked our three local stores yet to see if its in stock. They did discontinue the WG when all of it was bought up.

Great to know, thanks much! I'm assuming Kamado Joe only sells the lump. FWIW, the Wicked Good briquettes would be the only product I'd use in isolated instances if not the Ozark Lump. I can't imagine any lump charcoal being better than the OO, although I'm sure most have their faves.

I would love to do a blind taste test with meat cooked over this stuff and regular old Kingsford Blue. I am willing to bet nobody could tell a difference.

I agree. I think, for the most part it's more of a tradition than anything else to grill over these coals. High end izayaka's in Japan will cook over this stuff but a good majority of them use gas in their yakitori grills. Japanese master chefs may differ over the difference in taste, however.... Who knows? :)

Back