Big Green Egg difference from WSM

Andrew Feldman

TVWBB Member
I bought a knock off Big Green Egg at a garage sale this weekend, how does cooking with one of these ceramic type smokers differ from using a WSM?

What are the things I should watch out for...

Usually you do not use a water pan with a
ceramic smoker. Be aware that a ceramic cooker
can "flashback" when the lid is opened with
no warning. They say that the ceramics keep
the foods being cooked moister than a WSM. I
like both WSM and ceramics, and would like to
see a ceramic from Weber.

Thanks.

They also seem to keep heat differently...I put too much fuel in it and had trouble dropping the temp...it took hours and hours...

Seems like the way to go is to work up to the desired temp rather than down to it as I do with the WSM...

Much appreciated.

Flashback is easy to avoid if you open the top in the correct order. Close the bottom vent. Open the top vent. Open the top. No flashback.

Do it every time.

We are a BGE dealer (along with Weber's) and Bill_W has it correct. I would just add one thing, when opening the top, do a quick, short open, then close, then open all the way (called a "burp".) Won't have a flashback if you burp.

BGE Cons
heavy, expensive, limited capacity

BGE Pro
Ignores the weather (WSM needs a jacket), does not use a lot of fuel, cooks all temps perfectly (way hotter than any Weber product). Does a PERFECT wood fired pizza.

For smoking it's a tie in my book between the BGE and WSM or Ranch Weber. For chicken skin the BGE wins. For hot and fast BGE wins. The BGE rules perfect seared steak and wood fired Pizza IMNHO. For the price difference the BGE should should. I have a medium and XL BGE and not enough Weber's especially a 26" Kettle and a 22" SMC. Although if I did it again I'd get 2 Larges instead of XL. The XL place setter (BGE version of WSM water pan) legs are too short compared to every other size.

Did I mention I like wood fired pizza
icon_biggrin.gif

Seems like the way to go is to work up to the desired temp rather than down to it as I do with the WSM...
It is also easier--and usually quicker--to work up to temp is a WSM as well.

I have a Primo Oval XL and a WSM, since i got the Primo I don't use my WSM nearly as much. But it is handy for holidays and big gatherings and is way more portable than a heavy ceramic.

One word of advice to anyone considering a ceramic, while not as recognizable as a BGE the Primo XL is, in my opinion, a more versatile and better value grill. My brother feels the same and he owns a BGE.

Thanks,

TT

Konrad, with your professional experience being what it is, would you mind to share your wood fired pizza methods in the pizza section?
Thank you in advance. p.s. have we seen pix of your three wheeled bikes?

Originally posted by Steve Petrone:
Konrad, with your professional experience being what it is, would you mind to share your wood fired pizza methods in the pizza section?
Thank you in advance. p.s. have we seen pix of your three wheeled bikes?

Sure I'll see what I can add to the Pizza section.

Ural_Jr.jpg

In front of our Duvall restaurant

Back