Better briquettes?

PeterD

TVWBB Super Fan
Hey all,
Here in my little corner of North Jersey, if one is in the market for charcoal the options seem to be Blue K, occasionally Comp-K at Costco, Cowboy or Royal Oak lump. After a 12 hour brisket smoke where the only briquettes I could find today were blue-K, I'm really at my wits' end with this stuff. Great for ribs or other short/hot cooks, but self-smothering once you hit the 10 hour mark. Even knocking the bottom didn't help a whole lot.

Is there anything sold in this part of the world that's better? Fine-ash, long, consistent burn at 250 and easy to pack? I generally prefer briquettes over lump for long smokes as they're more consistent, but comp-K is very hard to find here at a decent price. Obviosuly, given weights involved, it has to be something I can find in a regional bricks-and-mortar shop, not mail order. Any ideas?

Thanks.

PeterD, I use the Trader Joe charcoal, you may have one close??? I have use both the Blue K and Comp K, but like this MUCH better. However, I am still pretty new at this and don't have tons of experience with other brands. Hope this helps.

KB is great for 8 or 9 hours in my experience but after that, the used ash is so bulky it doesn't fall cleanly, like powder, into the bottom of the WSM. Comp-K does, but KB doesn't. Not sure where to find Stubbs locally. Any Jersey-ites have an idea?

Hey Peter,

The K Mart near me sells Royal Oak briquettes which I really like, cheap too. They haven't had any for a while, which I'm hoping is because they're selling it seasonally. Now that spring is here, I'm going to check if they're stocking it again. Hopefully you can find some near you.

It wouldn't surprise me if Costco puts the KComp back on sale in their next flyer. The limit is two packs, but I get other folks I cook for to get it for me and thankfully, I have several bags. However, Wicked Good lump is some awesome lump. Yes, you have to pack and deal with the irregularity of the pieces, but it sure lasts a long time and makes for a great tasting product. Got mine on sale from Ace Hardware.

Do you use the coffee can method to start? That gets the coals burning all around and I haven't noticed a problem at 10hr (I also don't do a lot of 10+ hr cooks).

You can also look for the Royal Oak chefs select, I found it at a local butcher shop, go to Royal Oak website and do a search.

Another vote for Stubbs if you are looking at briquettes. I use kbb daily for grilling but prefer Stubbs for everything when I have. The kbb sales make it hard not to use though. Lowe's used to put Stubbs on a decent sale but haven't seen one for a couple years.

I hear the trader joes is a good briquette, apparently the same as rancher from what I read. Will pick some up and try since lowes quit selling Stubbs.

We rarely get over to Trader Joes, but I've read that as well. The Rancher was really good charcoal and I used it quite a bit in my old UDS cookers. I haven't seen it since Home Depot quit selling it several years ago, though.

Another Stubbs fan here. I even think its better than K Comp. Lowes & the bigger Walmarts around here carry 15# bags.

I just started using Stubbs and I love it. It comes in at Walmart here but disappears quickly. I'm not a fan of KB at all anymore. My favorite to use is Cowboy lump mixed with Stubbs but I have to drive 35 miles to Lowes to get the Cowboy.

The K Mart near me sells Royal Oak briquettes which I really like, cheap too. They haven't had any for a while, which I'm hoping is because they're selling it seasonally. Now that spring is here, I'm going to check if they're stocking it again.

I just went to K Mart on my lunch break and they definitely have it again. $6.50 per bag, can't beat it.

fcbff9e3-82dd-4bf8-ab71-7fd95325a122_zpseec285cd.jpg

Last edited:
KB is great for 8 or 9 hours in my experience but after that, the used ash is so bulky it doesn't fall cleanly, like powder, into the bottom of the WSM. Comp-K does, but KB doesn't. Not sure where to find Stubbs locally. Any Jersey-ites have an idea?

Pete

Lowes in Butler has Stubbs

PeterD, I use the Trader Joe charcoal, you may have one close??? I have use both the Blue K and Comp K, but like this MUCH better. However, I am still pretty new at this and don't have tons of experience with other brands. Hope this helps.

Another vote for Trader Joe's charcoal. For $7 a bag, you can't beat it.

Back