Best way to clean a sticky dome?

Scott in SoCal

TVWBB Member
The dome on my WSM 18.5 is starting to stick when I try to remove it after it heats up. Clearly there's a lot of grease built-up on the lid and the lip of the center section of the smoker. What is the preferred method of cleaning? I'd rather not to use any harsh chemicals. I was thinking of getting the smoker really hot, and then using a plastic scraper and a rag to just wipe the lip of the dome and the body of the smoker. Any other ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Last edited:
I use a couple of old grout cleaning brushes, ones brass and the other is a heavy plastic. Use that with a couple of sprays of simple green works. I used to use one of those steam buggy gizmos that had a grate cleaning attachment which worked great til I misplaced the nozzle..:rolleyes:

Tim

Tim: Do you do the cleaning when the smoker is hot, or at ambient temp? I like the steamer idea. Maybe it's time to buy a new toy...

Thanks!

Yep, when warm usually after a cook.
The steamer is a handy tool for around the house chores.:)

Tim

So I pulled the trigger and bought one of these steamers: Factory Refurbished Shark SC630 Multi-Purpose Portable Steamer With Concentrator Nozzle & More!

FANTASTIC. I paid $30 for it on sale. (You can almost get the price I paid if you use the coupon code benssavings.) The steamer comes with a really stiff brush attachment that is great for the lip of the smoker itself. The lid is a little trickier because it moves around, so I couldn't use the brush attachment. Instead, I used a plastic putty knife to scrape off the large chunks, and then just the steam nozzle attachment to loosen what was left. Then I took a rough towel and wiped it down. The lip of the smoker took about 20 minutes. The lid took about 30. Good results, and a worthwhile investment.

Hey, I'm glad it worked for you Scott.:)
When I did the lid, I just removed the top grate and flipped the lid over and used the mid section as a nest. Using a few shop towels to cradle the lid helps on keeping it from sliding around and not getting scratched up from the top grate straps.

Tim

Hey, I'm glad it worked for you Scott.:)
When I did the lid, I just removed the top grate and flipped the lid over and used the mid section as a nest. Using a few shop towels to cradle the lid helps on keeping it from sliding around and not getting scratched up from the top grate straps.

Tim

Good idea! I'll be sure to use it next time.

Back