Best meat choice for a semi-large party?

Erik Snyder

TVWBB Fan
This will be my first Q for a larger event, 50 people. I'm assuming that pulled pork will be my best choice. My question is: I will need to hold for several hours. Do I wait and pull the pork at the event or do it before? Any other advice on meat choices better than puled pork are also appreciated. Thanks

depends what you mean by 'several hours'. whole butts will keep safely hot wrapped in foil in a towel-lined cooler for 4-5 hours, easy, for pulling on-site; anything longer than that and you probably would want to pull, freeze and re-heat.

If you got a good pre-heated cooler and it's warm weather, a few butts can keep hot for at least 6 hours.

Don't pull until you have to, and THEN, be concerned about keeping the meat hot and covered in the serving containers some way or another.

Oh yeah, stick with the pork, and keep it simple. Not a better plan than that.

Pork is likely your best option, especially if you need to hold it for some time. I always pull on site, and in a warmed cooler, it'll stay too hot to touch for several hours.

For a group of 50, you'll almost surely have someone who would prefer something different than pork.

I would recommend having either Pulled Beef or Pulled Chicken in addition to the Pulled Pork.

Use a Chuck Roll/Roast/Steak for Pulled Beef - Chuck Roll Pulled Beef Recipe

Use Chicken Thighs for Pulled Chicken. I use boneless skinless thighs, grill them, and chop 'em up.

Pulled Pork and pulled chicken I use chicken breasts if they
get a tad to done some apple juice and a touch a sauce and your good to go . If they come to my house and don't eat MEAT I just point at the grass and tellem there welcome to all they care to eat
icon_biggrin.gif

wsmsmile8gm.gif

Thanks for the help guys! I think I'll stick with pork. I'm not really being hired out, juts being nice and adding to the menu. So, I really am not too concerned if there are any non-pork eaters.

I agree with you guys. Holding the entire foiled roast in a towel lined cooler works great. I like to have the pork pulled and ready with a little time to spare before service so I don't get myself too rushed. I serve half chopped and half larger pulled. It's nice to enjoy it and hand out some of the choice bark pieces while slurpin' down some beers.

People FREAK OUT over pulled pork. Have fun!

Back