Best Commercial Sauce for Texas BBQ Rub

Joe Dang

TVWBB Super Fan
I did a search but did not find anything. I just ordered some Texas BBQ Rub (the owner of the site answered some questions of mine very promptly by email, after business hours, that gave me a great feeling therefore I had to support his enterprise - plus I hear his rub is great). I know there is his bbq sauce recipe, but I'm extremely lazy (hence purchasing of the rub haha) so I'd rather buy a commercial brand. I'm in San Diego so not BBQ country. I know there are some regional differences, with some sauces being more sweet, some being more tangy, etc.

What is a good sauce to pair up with the BBQ rub? In my local market I saw today Chris and Pitts, Stubbs, Sweet Baby Ray, KC Masterpiece and the other usual suspects. Which one out of those or any easily retrievalbe sauce do you guys recommend?

Is the sweet or tangy sauces better for the BBQ rub? I forgot to mention I am smoking 2 racks of pork backs and 2 racks of beef backs. This is my first smoke so I'm going with tried and true rubs and methods, then I will adjust accordingly (I like to tinker, but only after trying a formulated process first).

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!

That is a matter of taste for each person. Read through this thread to see if it is any help for you.
icon_wink.gif

Sauce thread

By the way, great choice for rub. I order a bag of the brisket, and a bag of the pork blends, then mix 'em. That's what I like.

Great thread, I'm going to try some spicy stubbs and Sweet Baby Ray's this weekend. I understand that preference of sauce is very subjective, I just wanted to know which flavor profiles of sauce (i.e. tangy, sweet, etc.) compliments the texas rub, and why. More or less looking for individual opinions.

Thanks Bob.

After all the different ones I have tried, the Wife and kids still prefer the KC Masterpiece and I mix honey in with it. There are still other sauces I need to try, but Wifey is not really into spicey foods. That's why she likes the honey in the sauce, to counter the spices in the rub.
I don't make ribs dripping wet either. Just put a thin coat on after ribs come out of the foil, then another thin coat, and run them under the broiler for a minute, but watch it, they can turn black quick.
icon_eek.gif

Good news for you Bob, I was at the store today and see that KC Masterpiece is out with yet another new flavor..."Honey" Didn't buy any, but it won't be long, my wife and daughter think KC is manna from Heaven.

Yeah, a lot of people tend to like the sweet BBQ sauce from my experience, I prefer a bit tangy with spice!

These are a select few who just need to throw sauce on everything before even trying it. I don't mind as long as the sauce is to complement, not smother and cover. I had one guy who covers his whole steak (ribeye with semi-homemade rub) with A1 sauce before even taking a bite. Needless to say he got a scolding from me.

Bruce. I'll just keep buying the original and adding my own honey. I know what I'm adding and how much. I don't mind the KC, but there are others I would like to use myself. I really need to get some blues hog sauce and try it.

Joe, the key to your reply is "to complement", that is the way I feel also.

My favorite to compliment this rib rub is a 50/50 mix of Sweet Baby Ray's (regular) and Hot Bone Suckin Sauce. I brush on a thin coating right as they come off the smoker. It really does a nice job on top of the Texas BBQ Rub.

Originally posted by Rick Kramer:
Bob if you can't find Blues Hog locally drop me a line. E-mail addy is in my profile.

Rick

I thought you could only get it on the net. Can you get Blues hog at stores?

Depending on where you live, it is available in some stores. I kind of doubt any stores out your way carry it, but it is possible.

Rick

Well, my first smoke with the Texas BBQ Rub, and it was a hit. I didn't even put any sauce out. They were going to try it without it, and everybody loved it! They didn't even know I didn't use any sauce, since the bbq rub comes out finished looking like it's been sauced. This just makes me even more encouraged to try other things, as I've only done ribs.

Thanks guys.

Good to hear it went well. It is the best rub I have used. I still want to figure out a rub to make at home that I like as much, the Tx. rub can start to get expensive when you use a lot of it.
If you haven't done a Butt yet, that would be my next cook if I were you! A butt is easy to get great results with compared to ribs IMO.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Back