Best BBQ restaurant in SF Bay Area

TonyD

TVWBB Fan
We're heading to the Bay area in July of 2009. Also taking a side trip down to the Monterey area. What's the best BBQ restaurant around?

In Oakland, there is Flints at 6637 Bancroft and 6609 Shattuck; and Everett and Jones at 2676 Fruitvale, 2701 Fruitvale and 126 Broadway in Jack London Square. All of them are in real rough neighborhoods except for E & J in Jack London Square.

There is also Bo’s Barbecue, 3422 Mt. Diablo Blvd., Lafayette, CA, about 10 miles east of Oakland. I like this the best of the commercial Q's

But the best BBQ is at my house in San Ramon in the East Bay.

I agree that Bo's is quite good.

The problem with Everett & Jones is that everything is swimming in sauce. If you're into that, you may like it.

Memphis Minnie's in San Francisco is generally quite good, but has been disappointing on a few occasions. Of course, I can say that about most restaurants I've been to. I will say that the guy who runs it, Bob Kantor, knows his barbecue.

Regards,
Chris

Aside from Memphis Minnies that seems to get a lot of mixed reviews (mainly positive), this little place is an absolute hidden gem:

Texas Smokehouse BBQ: http://www.yelp.com/biz/texas-smokehouse-bbq-san-jose

Their tri-tip, beef ribs and spare-ribs were the best I tried in CA with an amazingly unique tasting sauce.

Uncle Frank's BBQ & Catering in Mountain View is good too.

I have also tried the following:

Sam's Bar-B-Que: Very interesting pulled pork - very chunky texture with large pieces of black pepper and well seasoned. However, ribs have been hit and miss

Andy's BBQ: Very nice overall, good brisket, average ribs.

Hey Chuck, Flints is closed. It seems the owner has a gambling problem (or so I was told). The last time I ate there, as we were leaving, I spied a young thug checking his gun tucked into his waistband as he entered the joint. Luckily, he didn't notice me, but I told my friend driving "GO, GO, GO... Let's get the heck outta here!!!"
icon_eek.gif

I agree with Chris, too. E&J is ok, but unless you ask for the sauce "on the side," be prepared to go swimming for your ribs.

Not quite in the area, but Lucille's in Rocklin is very good. They do a great job with their sides, which doesn't seem to happen very often.

I'm going to have to try Bo's. Somebody else told me they were good, so they're getting multiple good reviews.

I think Everett & Jones is way overrated. It's more of a tourist trap than a mecca for BBQ lovers. Oakland gets a bad rap for too many of the wrong reasons (and yesterday's ugliness will do nothing to change that), but strictly for BBQ, I'd stay away. The locals seem to love The Brick Pig House (check the Yelp reviews), but my own experience was not as positive. Baked ribs just don't fly.
I have heard good things about Gorilla BBQ (a short drive south of SF in Pacifica). Though I haven't made it there yet, my sister swears by the pulled pork.
Down here in Santa Cruz, the BBQ situation has been bleak for years. I'm not kidding, my favorite "BBQ" in town is the Barbecue Tofu at a vegetarian place called Dharma's.

Kevin,

I haven’t been to Oakland for BBQ since I retired over 10 years ago, and then, only with a group and well armed. My most recent foray to commercial BBQ was Bo’s before I started Qing my own. A little over a year ago, my son worked for Back 40 BBQ in San Ramon (one is in Pleasant Hill also). They aren’t bad. They won Peoples Choice at the ’97 Best of the West rib Cook-off in Reno, and Best Sauce in ’96.

I've been to several here in the bay area, and for the most part none have really surprised me in a good way. Memphis Minnies makes great sweet potato pie and that's about it. Most of their BBQ is very, very inconsistent( I've gone back several times to know this) most of the time, it's dried out, overcooked, or unexciting in general. If I was there to have a few slices of brisket as he pulled them off the smoker, that might be different, but haven't had the chance yet.

And the hygeine of the place isn't the best. I wrote a review on Yelp about it. You can see the whole kitchen area, as the entire restaurant is quite narrow, and all the equipment and pans look like they aren't cleaned well enough. Things like the cornbread muffin pans were not only blacked from use ( probably well seasoned, a good thing) but also had several layers of baked on grease and corn meal clinging to them.

I plan on giving Gorilla BBQ a try this Thursday, and will be glad to offer a fair assessment of them. I know they were just on Food Network this month with Guy.

Now that you mention Mr. Fieri....Has anyone been to his place Tex Wasabi's in Santa Rosa? The online menu mentions BBQ....

I haven't been to any BBQ joints in the Bay Area but I agree with Kevin S that Lucille's in Rocklin is pretty good. The sides are very good and I love their beef ribs.

Tony,

I your heading down to Monterey, you should stop at the Central Texas BBQ in Castroville.
Castroville is approx. 20 minutes north of Monterey...Great Brisket..really small town, located on the main drag

Thanks for the reminder, Stu. I've been reminding myself for at least 4 years that I need to make the short drive to Central Texas. But in the meantime I'll keep workin' on my own brisket.

Have you heard anything about this new place called SmoQe that's "opening soon" in Aptos? I've also been meaning to stop by there to sniff around.

Mosef,

yea..saw that SmoQe in Aptos a few weeks ago, i totally forgot about it, I'll have to go try it out if it's open and give a review. It's only a few minutes away from my house..

I've been to Central Texas in Castroville, and found it to be pretty good.

I wouldn't bother with Gorilla BBQ here in Pacifica. Guy F is full of you know what. This place was a joke. Another BBQ place that rushes food thru the smoker, likely finishes in the oven,and turns out tough brisket, no smoke, little flavor, and ridiculous sauce. I swear it was like a bastardized marinara sauce.

I did just go back to E&J's in Berkley, and at least their stuff had some smokiness and flavor, but yeah, its all drowned in sauce unless you take it to go. Brisket was a bit tough too. Their little pecan pies there are amazing though.

Back