Beginner ribs

Scott Borsick

TVWBB Member
Did the Beginner ribs today. To the letter except Stubbs charcoal and did not spray with apple juice. Although everybody said they liked them, I thought there was too much smoke flavor. The bark was awesome, an excellent smoke ring. I would like a lees smokey flavor. what I can say is that it took at least 40 minutes to get the temp up to 200 (was at 150 for that time) maybe why the somewhat intense smoke flavoy. Probably the Stubbs..known to burn at a low temp. Any ideas?

Did you minion start. If so how many lit? Water in the Pan? Weber lid thermo? I would have thought you would have been to 200 actual sooner than that.

Sorry, I just went and loOked at what the beginner recipe was to know how you started. Bottom lin is everyone liked them
icon_smile.gif

Use less wood next time Scott. Welcome. Pork and especially poultry absorb smoke more than beef. I'll bet your off to a Great start with ribs. As you can see there are Great folks here willing to help.

Stubbs does generate a lot of it's own smoke, especially using the Minion Method, but I seriously doubt it's enough to make the meat oversmoked.

The more likely reason is the amount and kind of wood you used. What did you use, and how much?

Scott, smoke flavor is a personal choice. What I think is "spot on", my wife thinks is too smokey tasting. This may be why you thought the smoke flavor was too strong, and others liked it. Like the others have said, try less wood next time and see how that tastes. I can say with out question, I exclusively use Stubbs briquettes and have never found them to burn at a lower temp or alter the taste of the meat. Either way, keep on try. This is by no means an exact science, rather an expanding process where we get to eat some pretty tasty data!!
Good Luck, and rumor has it, around here if we don't see some pics, it never happened!
icon_wink.gif

Tim

Thanks Tim... I thought it may have been the low temp at 150 (wsm temp gauge reading did not use the maverick) for approx the first 30 - 45 mins or so. I had to open the vents to bring the temp up. Think I'll just use 3 cherry next time.

Good adjustment with the wood, Scott. Gotta be careful with hickory on ribs, and four chunks on the fire at one time is too much, no matter the wood, or meat.

Cold meat will always keep the dome gauge from showing actual cooking temp at the start of the cook. Just have to get a feel for it, but it can be aggravating, even if you've been doing it for any time. (I had 32lb+ of pork butts on my 18.5" bullet and the gauge read less than 200* for the first couple of hours Friday night.) Assuming you're cooking with water in the pan, though, don't be afraid to put a few more lit coals on the fire and leave the vents open more to begin with, especially if cooking more than a couple of slabs of ribs. You'll get better texture cooking closer to 250*, and the only other thing I'll add is to try to keep the ribs over the pan, especially on the bottom rack. I either halve the slabs or roll and skewer. Makes a great difference in terms of the ribs cooking evenly.

Back