Beef short ribs? How Long?

Harold C

TVWBB Member
So, I'm going to blow up the smoker on Saturday and do three things: baby back ribs, cochinita pibil (Yucatin pork), and beef short ribs.

I've never done short ribs before. I plan to cook them the same way I do baby backs -- with the smoker in the 225 to 275 range. Baby backs take anywhere from 4 to 6 hours for me, ideally closer to 6 hours. How long should I expect the beef short ribs to take? I'm guessing about the same?

Do I want to shoot for an internal temp in the 195 to 200 range? Or judge if they are done by how much they have pulled back from the end of the bone?

Tips or hints?

I've done a few batches of short ribs (block cut).
I use Montreal Steak Seasoning for the rub and ran about 250° F
Pull back was about 3/4"+ and cook time was about 3-1/2 hours.
I didn't check internal temp...just eyeballed them. Super-nice smoke ring.

I'm thinkin' that the large bone mass heats up and cooks them from from both sides, hence the slightly shorter cook time.
They are awesome. They eat almost like poor man's brisket.

I know a guy that cooks 'em in the large block size...6-7" x 10" or so and has a grand ol' time.
If you know your butcher, he'll hook you up with the nice, meaty stuff.....The Good Stuff.....bring him some marinade or sauce !
(that's how I do it)

:)

Thanks. I figured that pullback from the bone would probably be the best gauge. That's the most reliable with baby backs, too. Good to know to start looking at them early. Got these from my local fancy butcher shop. They look marvelous. Big ol' fat meaty ribs. I never get them at the grocery store because they never look worth a darn, considering how expensive they are. Then, I saw that the butcher shop had them. They had just cut and put these out.

Thanks. I figured that pullback from the bone would probably be the best gauge. That's the most reliable with baby backs, too. Good to know to start looking at them early. Got these from my local fancy butcher shop. They look marvelous. Big ol' fat meaty ribs. I never get them at the grocery store because they never look worth a darn, considering how expensive they are. Then, I saw that the butcher shop had them. They had just cut and put these out.
Yep, some are just too fatty....I walk away.
My local Safeway store on the other hand will have some pretty good stuff in the case.

And I love the Flanken Cut short ribs for a hot and fast cook up.
1/4" thick max.

Ive done them a couple of times as well.

The first time I used a rib rub and felt like they were over seasoned. The next time I use Weber's steak and chop and they were much better. More of a natural beef flavor

The second time I did them, I ran about 260, no foil, no lifting the lid and they took about 5 hours. They were pretty meaty and the pullback was nice at that point

I did some a month or so ago along with some St. Louis ribs. I gave the St. Louis ribs an hour head start and then put the short ribs on. Smaller ones on the bottom rack and thicker ones on top. The short ribs cooked for a little over 4hrs at 250. I rubbed them with the same rub as the pork ribs and slathered them up in a home made Carolina BBQ sauce the last 1/2hr. The were great. Nice and tender with just the right amount of smoke flavor. The ones I got were on sale since they were short dated which may have contributed to them being so tender. They were even better the next day reheated. I was cooking some chicken wings on the OTG and threw the short ribs on the OTG for about 15 minutes to reheat them. Now I'm hungry!

Back