Beef Ribs

Todd Oelke

Hello All

Have had my WSM for awhile and have made a lot of different items; PP, baby backs, jerky, salmon, brisket, chicken, turkey, etc. But I have never attempted beef ribs and will try this weekend. Looking for suggestions on a rub to apply, to marinade or not and approx. cooking time (I know it will depend on the rib size, etc.). Any suggestions, tips, ideas, etc. would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Todd

I have used this beef rib rub before and it was awesome

3 tablespoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons table salt
1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
1 tablespoon onion powder
2 teaspoons mustard powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons chili or ancho powder
1 teaspoon chipotle or cayenne powder

Cannot for the life of me remember where/who I got the recipe from but I think it was on this site somewhere..sorry I can't give props to whomever it was. As far as temp/time I think I just cooked them somewhere around 275-300 and it took a good 4-5 hours? Just do the toothpick test after 3-4 hours and when you can stick a toothpick between the bones effortlessly then they are done...they shrink up quite a bit on the bone so don't be alarmed when that happens
icon_smile.gif

Beef ribs are my absolute favorite. It's a shame I can't get meaty ones. I like to marinade them overnight in Stubbs beef marinade. Cook at 225-250 degrees until probe tender.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom (Gunner):
I have used this beef rib rub before and it was awesome

3 tablespoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons table salt
1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
1 tablespoon onion powder
2 teaspoons mustard powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons chili or ancho powder
1 teaspoon chipotle or cayenne powder

Cannot for the life of me remember where/who I got the recipe from but I think it was on this site somewhere... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, Big Bad Beef Rub from Amazing Ribs.com. I can vouch for this rub as well...its really good. I did use it on some beef ribs once and posted a link to the recipe on this site. Someone else could have posted it here, too. Not sure.

I've done beef backs 6 or 7 times in the last 2 years. I think the above have answered your rub and temp questions. The few things I can offer is:

1) Your cook is dependent on the ribs you have. Many times beef ribs are over-butchered. You will see this by V shaped cuts on the top/meat side of the rack between the bones. This means less meat to cook, shorter cooking times and, potentially using less rub. If you have a full beef back, without this butchering, I believe it would be a roast. I've never tried these un-butchered ribs.
2) Beef ribs have a much thicker membrane running vertically along the bones (not to be confused with the traditional bone side membrane that most remove pre-cook). Unlike pork ribs, this membrane doesn't break down during a long cook. You will find that the meat is moist but pulls away from the bone with that membrane/sinew intact. It's like a gristle between the bone and meat. I've never been able to break this down, even after a slow reheat in a crock pot. Perhps others can offer solutions for this?
3) If you are cooking the butchered ribs, try the pull test earlier than later. The thin, over-butchered meat can easily become overdone and jerky like. These over butchered racks aren't uniform in thickness so you can get jerky in the middle while still having moist ribs on the ends.

Overly long story short, I tend to cook 2 racks at a time but eat only one come service. I then generally toss the 2nd rack into a crock pot with low sodium broth and some root veg and make a next day rib stew that works great with a garlic mash or short egg noodles. Add a little crusty bread and I like day 2 better than day 1.

All said, others may be able to solve for my problems noted above but beef ribs are always a nice change of pace.

Thanks to all that replied. Looking forward to the cook this weekend. Hopefully they turn out, if not I will try again.

Todd

Back