Beef Knuckle

Glenn W

TVWBB Guru
Went to my meat market today and asked for a chuck roll and he talked me into a knuckle.

He said it is a much better piece and thats what is used to make sliced roast beef.

Thoughts on this and how would y'all cook it?

Have a 18.5 WSM

Beef knuckle is the standard name for a roast from the round. Its marketing term is 'sirloin tip roast', even though it is not from the sirloin.

It cooks like other round cuts so, yes, is used for roast beef. It is not at all like a chuck roll. Knuckle should be cooked to low or moderate internal temps and sliced very thinly after resting. Chuck roll is, well, chuck, and should be cooked to a till fall-apart tender, or at least quite nearly so. It can be puled for pulled beef. Knuckle is not suitable for that.

If you search for sirloin tip on the board you'll see quite a few threads and posts about them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Glenn W:
He said it is a much better piece and thats what is used to make sliced roast beef. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's a matter of opinon. All depends on what you wanted to cook. Pulled beef (the roll) or roast beef (the Knuckle). Two different methods to cook, and 2 very different tastes.

I use knuckle for pit beef. It's very lean and great when cooked no more than medium and shaved for sandwiches. I usually sear over high heat, then finish to temp indirect. I season with spg. It can take a lot of seasoning.

I semi smoked an 8.8 lb in a mini smokey Joe smoker with a little cherry wood. Kept temp between 275 and 255 except for the last thirty minutes it dropped off to 195 while i ran to the store. Marinated with olive oil, soy sauce and garlic. Then used a rub of salt, pepper, paprika, cayenne, and mustard. At 3 hours I pulled it (flipped the roast over at 110 degrees). It came off the smoker at 130 degrees and has climbed to almost 140 while resting in foil. It looks great. Will slice after an hour of resting?

OK, you brought it up, beer mustard?
I have my own ideas but, where to start?
I'm surrounded by a "well done" group and I'm a "black and blue" guy!
This might work out pretty well for all concerned.

Last edited:

Back